[comp.sys.ibm.pc] OPUS bug

mollusk@occrsh.UUCP (03/07/88)

From squid!mollusk Sun Mar  6 17:03 CST 1988 remote from occrsh
From: David Drexler <squid!mollusk@occrsh.UUCP>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 88 17:03:06 CST
Comments: Anything is funny if you look at it wrongly enough.
Subject: re: OPUS bug

/**
 **  Address in header may be incorrect. Please reply to:
 **  { ihnp4 | moss | cbosgd | uokmax }!occrsh!squid!mollusk
 **
 **/

In article <17259@watmath.waterloo.edu> Geoffrey Welsh writes:
>   BULLETIN!
>
> [ ...stuff about OPUS bug deleted...]
>
>   The patch, called FIXDATE.COM is distributed with source under the
>name OBUG_103.ARC ( <2K ). I'd post it but, because this is a Fido and not a
>Usenet site, I cannot UUENCODE files.

Geoff, uucode source/exe is easily available; if noplace else, you can File
Request it from 147/1 under the filename 'uucode.arc'. And it is a simple
matter to uuencode small files and put them into FidoNet messages.

I question the merits of posting specifically FidoNetoid files to this
newsgroup, however, even small ones. Only FidoNet people need that info;
those who will be reading this newsgroup are a very tiny percentage of
either group; and all of them have the capability to get it for themselves
via File Requests. A simple note about where to find it, along with the
description, would suffice.

Please, please, do not take undue advantage of Usenet in FidoNet's name.
You will discredit our cross-links, which are still in their infancy; there
are still a *lot* of very suspicious Usenet sysadmins out there, who are
just waiting for an excuse to come down on us about things like that. I
have had plenty of personal experience with some of them.

This is meant to be neither an attack on you, nor a flame; I hope you don't
take it as such. It is - or should be - a valid concern of any FidoNet
person who is enjoying the benefits of the gateways. I mean for it to apply
to all of us, which is why I'm posting it here.

The rest of you, specifically those who post binaries to files like PKARC,
which are available from darn near every IBM-based bbs world-wide: go look
on a bbs! It's all there! Almost every binary you've ever seen here, and
scads more besides! There are over 6000 bbs's in the US, and one of them is
right there in your home town, only a local call away.

(_)\avid   ihnp4!occrsh!squid!mollusk  Oklahoma: famous for shopping
.