[comp.sys.ibm.pc] OS/2 programming

murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) (02/14/88)

What are OS/2 programmers using for C on OS/2?  Is the IBM C/2
compiler the only thing available for OS/2?  Is there way to use
a standard DOS compliler to write code for OS/2?

--
   ----------- Rodrigo Murillo, UC - Boulder  (303)761-0410 -----------
   murillo@boulder.Colorado.EDU   -or-  ..{hao|nbires}!boulder!murillo

robert@rabbit1.UUCP (Robert Oliver) (03/02/88)

In article <4274@sigi.Colorado.EDU>, murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) writes:
> What are OS/2 programmers using for C on OS/2?  Is the IBM C/2
> compiler the only thing available for OS/2?  Is there way to use
> a standard DOS compliler to write code for OS/2?

Microsoft C is an alternative.  I'm sure there are/will be others.  However,
I would bet that at the moment only Microsoft (& probably IBM) have the
ability to create "Family Applications."  Family Apps, when properly written
(i.e., using a safe subset of system calls, etc.), compiled, and linked
can be run under OS/2, in OS/2's DOS Compatibility Box, or on a DOS system.
Not many programs are tame enough to be Family Apps.  Compilers DO fall into
this category, as do simple word processors.

As for plain OS/2 programming, all you need is an OS/2 compatible 286 protected
mode compiler, which Lattice, Aztec, and everyone else are probably working
on or shipping.  No concrete info. from me, though.  Sorry.
--

Robert Oliver
Rabbit Software Corp.		(215) 647-0440

doug@edson.UUCP (Doug Konrad) (03/03/88)

In article <432@rabbit1.UUCP>, robert@rabbit1.UUCP (Robert Oliver) writes:
> In article <4274@sigi.Colorado.EDU>, murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) writes:
> > What are OS/2 programmers using for C on OS/2?  Is the IBM C/2
> > compiler the only thing available for OS/2?  Is there way to use
> > a standard DOS compliler to write code for OS/2?
> >

> Microsoft C is an alternative.  I'm sure there are/will be others.  However,
> I would bet that at the moment only Microsoft (& probably IBM) have the
> ability to create "Family Applications."

Not quite true.

Lattice has an OS/2 C compiler. Its been available for the last 9 to 12 months.
(Thats NOT a typo.) It's the compiler that IBM has been using for more than the
last year to develope OS/2 code and applications. Hard to believe, but the
compiler was for sale BEFORE OS/2.

I haven't tried the product, I use their DOS C compiler myself.

Just a loyal, satisfied Lattice Customer...

Doug Konrad

las@apr.UUCP (Larry Shurr) (03/04/88)

In article <432@rabbit1.UUCP> robert@rabbit1.UUCP (Robert Oliver) writes:
>In article <4274@sigi.Colorado.EDU>, murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) writes:
>> What are OS/2 programmers using for C on OS/2?  Is the IBM C/2...

>Microsoft C is an alternative.  I'm sure there are/will be others.  However,
>I would bet that at the moment only Microsoft (& probably IBM) have the
>ability to create "Family Applications."  Family Apps, when properly written
>(i.e., using a safe subset of system calls, etc.), compiled, and linked
>can be run under OS/2, in OS/2's DOS Compatibility Box, or on a DOS system.

Lattice has been working on an OS/2 compiler.  In the last newsletter I
received, they said they had been working with OS/2 preliminary versions
under non-disclosure agreement for some time previously.  They offered
a deal to current owners of their latest DOS compiler: receive "beta"
releases and the first official release of the C compiler for $150 (ouch!).
The compiler is a "Family App" and with it and the supplied run time
libraries, you too can create family apps.  I'm planning to upgrade, but
$150 is pretty steep for my budget.

regards, Larry
--
"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."
- Oscar Wilde, James Whistler or George Bernard Shaw depending on who you ask

mitsu@well.UUCP (Mitsuharu Hadeishi) (03/08/88)

	Has anyone had experience with OS/2 performance?  I'd like to
see some benchmarks.