[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Plea for ROMable Compiler

dwa@ihu1h.ATT.COM (Alvin) (03/04/88)

I put the following forth for an associate:

Is there any compiler available under MS-DOS that will produce a file
that is suitable for EPROMming? The environment is:

* Program development on MS-DOS, using all of it's glorious tools.

* Program execution on STD-bus 808X/80188 CPU's, with the application program
  EPROMmed. The STD-bus computer is used in process monitoring/control.

Currently they are using Z80 CPU's on STD-bus with CPM as the development
environment.

BASIC (UGH!) is their preferred language, although I think it would be neat
if they could only get EPROMmable "C" !

PLEASE SEND ME EMAIL IF YOU KNOW OF ANY SOLUTIONS ! THEY ARE DESPERATE !

David Alvin
4E Architecture and Resources Group, Toll Digital Planning and Field Support
AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, Ill.   IH 4E-323    55542
{world}!ihnp4!ihu1h!dwa   (312) 979-3571

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (03/04/88)

In article <1124@ihu1h.ATT.COM> dwa@ihu1h.ATT.COM (Alvin) writes:
|I put the following forth for an associate:
|
|Is there any compiler available under MS-DOS that will produce a file
|that is suitable for EPROMming? The environment is:

My understanding is that Turbo C is ROMmable.  Try Borland for details.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) (03/05/88)

>Is there any compiler available under MS-DOS that will produce a file
>that is suitable for EPROMming? The environment is:
>* Program development on MS-DOS, using all of it's glorious tools.
>

>PLEASE SEND ME EMAIL IF YOU KNOW OF ANY SOLUTIONS ! THEY ARE DESPERATE !
I mailed this and decided maybe it would be of interest.

The only compiler I am aware of that is EPROMable is
Aztec C.  They use it for that very same purpose where I work.

miek

johnbl@tekig5.TEK.COM (John Blankenagel) (03/08/88)

In article <2666@i.cc.purdue.edu>, aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) writes:

> >Is there any compiler available under MS-DOS that will produce a file
> >that is suitable for EPROMming? The environment is:
> >* Program development on MS-DOS, using all of it's glorious tools.
> >
> >PLEASE SEND ME EMAIL IF YOU KNOW OF ANY SOLUTIONS ! THEY ARE DESPERATE !

I have used Desmet C and Turbo C.  All you have to do is write a simple
loader type program that places a startup routine at high memory.  I don't
remember all addresses, but it must load the code segment address etc.  You
also need to re-write the startup routines for each.  These simply set up
the stack segment, code segment, extra segment, and stack pointer to point
to wherever you want them in ram.  If you are going to be doing memory
allocation, you need to also set up the bottom and top of the heap.  There
are some routines in Turbo C that save variables in the code segment though,
so be careful.  The only one I have run into so far is malloc.  I wrote my
own version and it works fine.  I have yet to find any problem at all with
Desmet C using the code segment for data storage.  I suspect the Borland
programmers were just lazy or some such thing.  If a novice programmer like
me can write code correctly, they should be able to.

scott@hpcvca.HP.COM (Scott Linn) (03/08/88)

/ hpcvca:comp.sys.ibm.pc / aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) /  8:33 am  Mar  4, 1988 /

>Is there any compiler available under MS-DOS that will produce a file
>that is suitable for EPROMming? The environment is:
>* Program development on MS-DOS, using all of it's glorious tools.
>

>PLEASE SEND ME EMAIL IF YOU KNOW OF ANY SOLUTIONS ! THEY ARE DESPERATE !
I mailed this and decided maybe it would be of interest.

Datalight C is romable.

Scott Linn
HP - Northwest IC Division