[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Turbo C source level debugger

wanger@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Leonard Wanger) (02/26/88)

	In the cover letter included in the version 1.5 update of
Turbo C, Phillippe Kahn mentions something about a symbolic
debugger being available in the 4th quarter of 1988.

	Len Wanger HP GTD

dorin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Stewart Johnson) (03/01/88)

In article <640001@hpfcdq.HP.COM> wanger@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Leonard Wanger) writes:

>	In the cover letter included in the version 1.5 update of
>Turbo C, Phillippe Kahn mentions something about a symbolic
>debugger being available in the 4th quarter of 1988.

The actual quote in the reproduced letter I recieved in my Turbo C package
last week reads: "Turbo C will be the first Borland language to benefit from
our debugging technology in the first quarter of 1988."
                                ^^^^^
I'm waiting.

dorin@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                     "Back Off--I'm a Scientist"

richardh@killer.UUCP (Richard Hargrove) (03/03/88)

In article <640001@hpfcdq.HP.COM>, wanger@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Leonard Wanger) writes:
> 	In the cover letter included in the version 1.5 update of
> Turbo C, Phillippe Kahn mentions something about a symbolic
> debugger being available in the 4th quarter of 1988.

The letter I received with my upgrade says first, not fourth, quarter 1988.

richard hargrove
...!{ihnp4 | codas | cbosgd}!killer!richardh

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (03/04/88)

There was a prototype Turbo C debugger that made an appearance on
Compuserve about 6 months ago.  It was in a pretty primitive state,
but it could read the map files, thus providing the ability to
single step through the program, etc.  I don't know if it is still
there; I think you go to the Borland SIG.  (I'm not a compuserve
regular.)  It was not freely redistributable, so you have to get it
from them.

It would not surprise me to see something emerge pretty soon from
Phillipe & Co.

--Bill

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (03/08/88)

>/ hpindda:comp.sys.ibm.pc / wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew)
>
>There was a prototype Turbo C debugger that made an appearance on
>Compuserve about 6 months ago.  It was in a pretty primitive state,
>but it could read the map files, thus providing the ability to
>single step through the program, etc.  I don't know if it is still
>there; I think you go to the Borland SIG.  (I'm not a compuserve
>regular.)  It was not freely redistributable, so you have to get it
>from them.
>----------

The debugger on Compuserve is called TCDEBUG.  I believe it's in a
file called TCDEBU.ARC in data library 4 on the BPROGB forum.  The
latest version of which I am aware is .07 and was uploaded sometime
in January adding the ability to display singly subscripted arrays
in the variable monitoring window.  It's a pretty nice debugger which
lets you see your source code while debugging, create a window for
monitoring variables, and show the assembly code generated by the
source whenever you want.  The biggest thing missing is easy access
to local variables.

John