[comp.sys.ibm.pc] pc disk optimizers

hartzell@beagle (George Hartzell) (02/27/88)

Does anyone out there have any opinions about programs that
unfragment one's hard-disk?  Better yet, does anyone out there know
of any pd. versions.  I would prefer to be able to get a copy from one
of the archive servers to decrease the chance of trojans, but can be
flexible.
g.
--
George Hartzell			                 (303) 492-4535
MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309

Geoffrey_Welsh@watmath.waterloo.edu (02/27/88)

   I've used "DOG" by G. Allen Morris III (shareware). It allows you
to create a configuration file that tells Disk OrGanizer what you want to
put where. The latest version I have is 1.01a.

   The downside to that is that it takes forever to analyze the disk
before it starts and it is pretty slow.

   I've also use Norton Speed Disk; it's faster but does not allow
custom configuration of the disk.

   As I watch Norton SD work (it shows you what it's doing), it seems
to me that, considering the fact that it's operating on a 640K PC with a
slow drive, it wastes a lot of time shuffling clusters. [oops, speaking of
memory, DOG requires almost ALL of DOS' 640K memory to be free!].

   When Norton wishes to 'clear out' a space at the beginning of the
disk, it shuffles the clusters to the next available free space (even if
that free space is further down the area it is trying to clear!). WHen it
eventually gets to clearing that space, it simply reshuffles the same
cluster down.

   I'm no expert on de-fragging (or on C&O), but surely it'd save much
reshuffling of the same clusters if Mr. Norton put shuffled clusters in the
LAST free space before the end of the disk?

   Altogether, I have yet to see a disk optimizer (shareware like DOG
or commercial like Norton) that works quickly enough for me (I run a Fido
mail site on a 4.77 MHz XT with a 31-meg XT-speed drive...)

   I have yet to see vOpt; I've heard much good about it but haven't
seen it anywhere (and don't look forward to the price, either).

   Geoff ( watmath!fido!221.171!izot )

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: The Waterloo Window: WOC's out there? (1:221/171)

doug@gethen.UUCP (Doug Asherman) (02/29/88)

In article <4543@sigi.Colorado.EDU> hartzell@beagle (George Hartzell) writes:
>Does anyone out there have any opinions about programs that
>unfragment one's hard-disk?  Better yet, does anyone out there know
>of any pd. versions.  I would prefer to be able to get a copy from one
>of the archive servers to decrease the chance of trojans, but can be
>flexible.

Probably the best disk-unfragger comes with Mace Utilities.  I've un-
fragmented a 20MB hard disk about 6 times with it, and haven't lost any
files or suffered any other damage that I can tell.  Not only that, there
some other useful utilities that come in the same package.

As for PD versions, I hear tell that Disk Organizer is good, though I
can't tell you from experience.

pcm@iwarpo.intel.com (Phil C. Miller) (02/29/88)

In article <4543@sigi.Colorado.EDU> hartzell@beagle (George Hartzell) writes:
>Does anyone out there have any opinions about programs that
>unfragment one's hard-disk?
>George Hartzell			                 (303) 492-4535

I wholeheartedly recommend PC-Tools Deluxe.  It has a versatile COMPRESS
program which is not only effective, but quite entertaining to watch :-).
The program(s) were produced by Central Point Software of Portland, OR.
I've no connection with the company, but they sure make good PC software.

This package is a real goldmine for miscellaneous software tools.  There is a
hard disk management program (PCTOOLS) with an integrated word processor.
The reason I bought the package was for its fast backup utility.  There is
also a 'safe' format program which prevents you from trashing your hard disk.

All in all, this is a real bargain program.  I got my copy at Egghead SW for
about $70.

Phil Miller

catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu (Tony Catone) (03/03/88)

In article <4543@sigi.Colorado.EDU> hartzell@beagle (George Hartzell) writes:
>Does anyone out there have any opinions about programs that
>unfragment one's hard-disk?  Better yet, does anyone out there know
>of any pd. versions.  I would prefer to be able to get a copy from one
>of the archive servers to decrease the chance of trojans, but can be
>flexible.

A PD program called Reformat is available via ftp from Simtel20.  It
was originally submitted to the Info-IBMPC digest sometime ago.  I
believe there may be different versions for IBM-PC's and true compatables
and other generic MS-DOS machines, though I have only used the IBM
specific version.  Source code is in Turbo Pascal, with quite a bit
of inline assembler code.  You do need to deinstall copy protected
software before running, as Reformat is not smart enough to leave their
sectors alone (some other programs are that smart; since I hate copy
protected software and only rarely deal with it, this has not been a
problem for me).

					- Tony
					  catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu
					  catone@wharton.upenn.edu

khl@usl (Calvin K. H. Leung) (03/09/88)

In article <4543@sigi.Colorado.EDU> hartzell@beagle (George Hartzell) writes:
>Does anyone out there have any opinions about programs that
>unfragment one's hard-disk?  Better yet, does anyone out there know
>of any pd. versions.  I would prefer to be able to get a copy from one
>of the archive servers to decrease the chance of trojans, but can be
>flexible.

SST is the one I am using.  It is PD and can be obtained from
many bulletin boards.

--
Calvin K. H. Leung                               USL P.O. Box 41821
                                                 Lafayette, LA 70504