[comp.sys.ibm.pc] UNIX to PC File transfer

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (02/29/88)

Several of the solutions to transfering binary files between UNIX and
a PC have mentioned Kermit.  I personally dislike Kermit because I
have yet to find a program that supports kermit and does good vt241
terminal emulation on a PC.  I also tend to feel that Kermit is a
somewhat unneeded protocol since there were several other very good
protocols in use by the PC (or shall we say CP/m) community long
before Kermit reared its head.  (I think I'd better get into my flame
proof suit now.)

I suggest using xmodem protocol to move files.  Xmodem has been around
for many years and almost every communications package supports
atleast the default version of it (I have not seen any programs that
do not support it).  There are several Xmodem drivers available for
UNIX.  I have the sources to two different ones.  If there is enough
interest, I am willing to post one of the sources, but it may be out
of date.

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {cmcl2!decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (03/01/88)

Even better (speed, reliability is RZSZ running on the UNIX box and
ProYAM (commercial) or ZCOMM (shareware) on the PC.  They use ZMODEM
protocol and a 32 bit CRC.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

ttang@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Theodore Tang) (03/01/88)

Instead of Xmodem, would anyone care to get Zmodem?  I have "C" sources for
it available.  Your system just needs a "C" compiler.

Theodore Tang (Ted) @ University of Wisconsin at Madison

TEL:     (608) 251-4325 (voice)
UUCP:    ttang@puff.wisc.edu.UUCP (uw puff)
	 ttang@gosset.wisc.edu.UUCP (uw gosset)
Fidonet: Sysop, 1:121/3 Opus International Archives HST (608) 251-4755

brunke@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Jim Brunke) (03/02/88)

In article <1444@puff.cs.wisc.edu>, ttang@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Theodore Tang) writes:

> Instead of Xmodem, would anyone care to get Zmodem?  I have "C" sources for
> it available.  Your system just needs a "C" compiler.

I will have to agree.  Zmodem is the best transfer protocal I have used.
It is the best transfer protocal I have used for Unix to PC transfers.

Jim Brunke

--
ARPA:  brunke@vax1.acs.udel.edu

Robert_F_Breedlove@cup.portal.com (03/02/88)

We're exploring the YAM alterntive for file transfers where I work.
Omen gives a source license agreement for $400 for those who have
non-standard UNIX implementations.

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (03/04/88)

In article <1054@ur-tut.UUCP> aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) writes:
>I suggest using xmodem protocol to move files.  Xmodem has been around
>for many years and almost every communications package supports
>atleast the default version of it (I have not seen any programs that
>do not support it).  There are several Xmodem drivers available for
>UNIX.  I have the sources to two different ones.  If there is enough
>interest, I am willing to post one of the sources, but it may be out
>of date.

This is dead end argument.  Kermit has been around for many years too.
The PC-DOS and CP/M types can say "well xmodem is on all the PC machines
so put it on UNIX and use Xmodem."  Well the same argument works both
ways.  Nether Xmodem nor Kermit is a great protocol.  Every UNIX machine
has kermit.  Kermit is available for DOS free.  Most DOS machines have
Xmodem (is this really true?).  Xmodem is availabe for UNIX free.  So
why force one or the other down everybody's throat.

If you want X-modem, use X-modem.  If I want kermit, I'll use kermit.
--
David Beckemeyer			| "To understand ranch lingo all yuh
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| have to do is to know in advance what

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (03/08/88)

>>I suggest using xmodem protocol to move files.  Xmodem has been around
>>for many years ...
>
>This is dead end argument.  Kermit has been around for many years too...

I think you both missed the point.  Kermit is a protocol that 1. works
good for text (7 bit) files, and 2.  works on the most brain-damaged of
mainframe systems (because it uses 7 bit ascii printable characters,
and does not strain an 80 character input queue).  If this fits your needs,
then kermit is clearly the protocol of choice.  However, xmodem is almost
ALWAYS faster (especially with binary files) because it uses an 8 bit
data path (kermit has a rather inefficient 8'th bit quoting scheme),
and because it uses a larger packet size.  Using kermit, it is faster
to download a uuencoded file than it is to download the corresponding
binary!

> Every UNIX machine has kermit.

I don't know where you got this gem (our system has kermit, but only
because we got the source distribution tape from Columbia).  Kermit is no
more widely available for UNIX systems than Xmodem.  Both have public-domain
C code versions that run on unix.

>If you want X-modem, use X-modem.  If I want kermit, I'll use kermit.

Sure.  They both have their points.  Since my primary use is to transfer
binary ARC files, I'll take xmodem and its 2 to one speed benefit over
kermit.  Your milage may vary.

--
John P. Nelson
   decvax!genrad!teddy!jpn

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (03/08/88)

Kermit does use 8-bit words if both computers can use them and , in
some cases, you tell it to. In other cases it does so automatically.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/08/88)

  I think one of the points not mentioned in this argument is that
xmodem does its transfers in 128 byte blocks (CP/M-80 sector sizes),
while Kermit can preserve file sizes to the byte. This can cuause
problems when trying to unarc files which have had data added to the end
of the archive. Various flavors of xmodem use diferent fill characters
or just leave garbage in the buffer.

  For performance use windowed kermit or zmodem. Zmodem has the
advantage of being able to restart an interrupted file transfer,
continuing without having to resend the first portion of the file.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (03/09/88)

jpn@teddy says:
> Kermit is a protocol that 1. works
> good for text (7 bit) files, and 2.  works on the most brain-damaged of
> mainframe systems (because it uses 7 bit ascii printable characters,
> and does not strain an 80 character input queue).  If this fits your needs,
> then kermit is clearly the protocol of choice.  However, xmodem is almost
> ALWAYS faster (especially with binary files) because it uses an 8 bit
> data path (kermit has a rather inefficient 8'th bit quoting scheme),
> and because it uses a larger packet size.  Using kermit, it is faster
> to download a uuencoded file than it is to download the corresponding
> binary!

    the kermits i've seen use 8th bit quoting ONLY if you specify that
even/odd/space/mark (anything but "no") parity is to be used.  also,
the kermit i use on our unix systems implements the sliding window
protocol, and works just dandy with procomm's sliding window kermit.
only Zmodem is faster.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uxc@uiuc.csnet		Phone:	(217)333-8703
CIS:    [73047,544]			PLink:  w hamilton