[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Chinese Chess

dlandis@enlog.Wichita.NCR.COM (Dave Landis) (03/01/88)

Today  I found a copy of Chinese chess on the net.  However, when
I did an uudecode I received the error message:

	No end line

However, an archive file was produced.   When I ran pkxarc, I extracted
all the files but the last one.  I received the message:

	Warning  CCHGC.CHN fails CRC check.
	Chinches.arc is nor an archive.

Is anyone else in network-land experiencing the same problem.
(Of course, all extraneous text was stripped beforehand)

Regards....

Dave Landis
NCR Corp.
3718 N. Rock Road
Wichita, KS
316-688-8861

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (03/02/88)

>Dave Landis writes:
>Today  I found a copy of Chinese chess on the net.  However, when
>I did an uudecode I received the error message:
>
>	No end line
>
>However, an archive file was produced.   When I ran pkxarc, I extracted
>all the files but the last one.  I received the message:
>
>	Warning  CCHGC.CHN fails CRC check.
>	Chinches.arc is nor an archive.
>
>Is anyone else in network-land experiencing the same problem.
----------

I was able to uudecode without complaint, but also found the resultant
file corrupted (CRC error on dearcing).  Haven't pursued it any further,
though, since my interest was only casual.

John Hardin
hardin%hpindda@hplabs.hp.com

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu ([bob, mon]) (03/03/88)

It came out okay here.  But it includes no documentation.

If only I knew how to play chinese chess.... :-(

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (03/04/88)

In article <6566@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu ([bob, mon]) writes:
}If only I knew how to play chinese chess.... :-(

It's been years since I made my own set based on the rules from a book (and
one of the pieces in the posted game moves slightly differently than I
remember), but these are the main points.  Anything I might have missed, you
can just try out and experiment with.  Lack of documentation does seem rather
suspicious though--anyone know whether this is a commercial game (I didn't see
any copyrights in the executables)?

The board (I'm only going to show half, since it's symmetric):

        Rook Knight Elephant Mandarin King Mandarin Elephant Knight Rook
             Cannon                                          Cannon
        Pawn        Pawn              Pawn          Pawn            Pawn

The moves (note that the pieces are in general much less powerful than in the
usual chess):

Rooks move as in regular chess
Knights move almost the same--one square Horiz or Vert, and then diagonal one
   square, but the space after the first move may not be occupied.  Thus, it
   is possible to block in a knight.
Elephants move *exactly* two spaces diagonally, and may not cross the center
   of the board (the "river").  Thus, they are limited to a total of seven
   board positions.
Mandarins may only move one space diagonally, within the 3x3 square with the X
Kings may only move one space H or V, also within the 3x3 square with the X
Cannons move like rooks, but may not take any pieces.  In addition, cannons
   may take an enemy piece if it is on a H or V line and there is exactly one
   other piece (from either side) between it and the cannon.
Pawns move forward one space only.  After crossing the river, they may also
   move horizontally one space at a time.

Since so many of the pieces are limited in where they can go, it is entirely
possible to have a stalemate with as many as 10 pieces left on the board.

You enter moves to the game by specifying the start and end positions
separated by a blank, i.e.  "a0 a2" moves your left rook forward two spaces.

--
{harvard,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- TalkNet: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |"Tolerance means excusing the mistakes others make.

ttang@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Theodore Tang) (03/07/88)

When I posted it, I was pretty certain that I could do so legally.  I
originally got it from Northwestern Univ Opus BBS (don't have the number
handy, please e-mail for it).  I also believe that Turbo Pascal source
is available for it, as a matter of fact, it was one of many programs
in the Turbo Pascal file area (sounds like a promo for them, eh?)

All I can advise anyone is that it is safe and appears to be publicly
distributable without harm.

Have fun!

Theodore Tang (Ted) @ University of Wisconsin at Madison

TEL:     (608) 251-4325 (voice)
UUCP:    ttang@puff.cs.wisc.edu.UUCP (uw puff)
	 ttang@gosset.stat.wisc.edu.UUCP (uw gosset)
Fidonet: Sysop, 1:121/3 Opus International Archives HST (608) 251-4755

vqh@drutx.ATT.COM (HoangVQ) (03/10/88)

From article <222eb822@ralf.home>, by Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU:

> Kings may only move one space H or V, also within the 3x3 square with the X

Another restriction is that the 2 Kings can not face each other, there
must be another piece between them.

V. Hoang, ihnp4!drutx!vqh
--
V. Hoang, AT&T Denver, ihnp4!drutx!vqh