[comp.sys.ibm.pc] exe2com

bamcpherson@orchid.waterloo.edu (Brent) (03/09/88)

I'm playing around with a history program that was posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

The makefile uses exe2com and mapsym. I am unfamiliar with these
programs and exe2bin won't convert the exe file. Could anyone give
me information on the first two programs. Are they public domain?

thanks

--
Brent

darrylo@hpsrli.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (03/11/88)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc, bamcpherson@orchid.waterloo.edu (Brent) writes:

> I'm playing around with a history program that was posted to
> comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
>
> The makefile uses exe2com and mapsym. I am unfamiliar with these
> programs and exe2bin won't convert the exe file. Could anyone give
> me information on the first two programs. Are they public domain?
>
> thanks
>
> Brent

     "exe2com" is a "drop-in" replacement for exe2bin, which is no longer
present in PCD*S 3.3 (those people who have 3.3 don't have exe2bin, and so
Chris Dunford wrote a replacement called "exe2com").  exe2com is a public
domain program, and I can send you a copy if you want one.  I don't think
exe2com will work where exe2bin failed, and so you probably still won't be able
to convert the .EXE file (do you really need to save disk space?).

     "mapsym" is a program used with Microsoft's symdeb debugging program
(symdeb is the debugger distributed by Microsoft before codeview was written).
It is NOT public domain.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	{hplabs!hpccc!, hpfcla!} hpsrla!darrylo
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.