[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM PC -> Atari ST

singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) (02/24/88)

Has anyone attempted to use the Atari ST color monitor on a PC
using either a CGA or EGA card?  Was it successful? Can it be done?
If so, where can I get the cables?

Matt Singer
Commnet Systems

dclemans@mntgfx.mentor.com (Dave Clemans) (03/01/88)

in article <919@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) says:

> Has anyone attempted to use the Atari ST color monitor on a PC
> using either a CGA or EGA card?  Was it successful? Can it be done?
> If so, where can I get the cables?
>

> Matt Singer
> Commnet Systems

The ST color monitor is an ANALOG RGB monitor; it WILL NOT work
work with a CGA or EGA card.  It's timing matches NTSC specs; voltage
levels are 1 volt peak-to-peak.  It should work with a PGA adaptor
(though you might need some voltage level conversion resistors) and
might work with a VGA card.  It also should work any Amiga.

The best place I know of for cables is Practical Solutions in Arizona.
(I think that's the name; they make the "Monitor Master").

dgc

singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) (03/01/88)

in article <919@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) says:

> Has anyone attempted to use the Atari ST color monitor on a PC
> using either a CGA or EGA card?  Was it successful? Can it be done?
> If so, where can I get the cables?
>

> Matt Singer
> Commnet Systems

The ST color monitor is an ANALOG RGB monitor; it WILL NOT work
work with a CGA or EGA card.  It's timing matches NTSC specs; voltage
levels are 1 volt peak-to-peak.  It should work with a PGA adaptor
(though you might need some voltage level conversion resistors) and
might work with a VGA card.  It also should work any Amiga.

The best place I know of for cables is Practical Solutions in Arizona.
(I think that's the name; they make the "Monitor Master").

dgc

VGA would be fine....  I need to replace a CGA/Amdek 310 combination
and would just prefer to not have to buy both a video card and a monitor.

870646c@aucs.UUCP (barry comer) (03/02/88)

Will the ST monitor work on an Amiga, and if so would it be any better in
the interlace mode than the Amiga monitor?
later
Barry

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (03/03/88)

In article <919@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) writes:
> Has anyone attempted to use the Atari ST color monitor on a PC
> using either a CGA or EGA card?  Was it successful? Can it be done?
> If so, where can I get the cables?

Nope, can't be done, at least not without some thrashing about with
the hardware.  The ST uses an Analog RGB interface, this means the
computer tells the monitor how much of each color to use by putting
out different voltages on each of the three color lines.

The PC CGA adapter uses an RGBI interface; the I stands for intensity
(I think).  The RGB values are always the same, the I dictates one of
two intensities or color sets.

The EGA adapter uses RGBII.  As you can guess, this is similar to RGBI
but carries 4 bits of Intensity data by using two lines.

The big thing about "multi-sync" monitors is that they can be driven
from Analog RGB, RGBI, or RGBII type interfaces, and at varying
vertical sync rates.

--
    /\              -  "Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (03/05/88)

in article <919@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, singer@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) says:

>> Has anyone attempted to use the Atari ST color monitor on a PC
>> using either a CGA or EGA card?  Was it successful? Can it be done?
>> If so, where can I get the cables?

You can make it work with a CGA card if you build a TTL - Analog converter,
which isn't too hard.  You cannot make it work with ANY other IBM video
card, as the horizontal and vertical sync rates for those video cards
are way off from the standard NTSC values the Atari color monitor uses.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

tj@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Terry Jones) (03/11/88)

This may be old news but a friend of mine here in Toronto makes a board
(real tiny little sucker... cheap)
that will make an analog rgb work with std rgb.
tj