[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS date error

wg@aluxp.UUCP (Bill Gieske) (02/29/88)

I just discovered that my DOS 3.1 PC thinks it's 3/1 instead of 2/29.  More
interesting is the discovery that it WILL NOT accept 2/29 as the date.  Yet
to come is what it does with the date rollover at the end of the day.  If
time stamping is of importance to you, need I tell you more?

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (03/03/88)

In article <957@aluxp.UUCP>, wg@aluxp.UUCP (Bill Gieske) writes:

> I just discovered that my DOS 3.1 PC thinks it's 3/1 instead of 2/29.  More
> interesting is the discovery that it WILL NOT accept 2/29 as the date.  Yet
> to come is what it does with the date rollover at the end of the day.  If
> time stamping is of importance to you, need I tell you more?

On my machine (IBM PC) the date jumped to March 1 instead of Feb 29.
But I _could_ get DOS to accept the date; but the clock on my JRAMIII
memory board with SSC module would only allow resets to Feb 1, Feb 28,
or Mar 1, not Feb 29.  Perhaps it's your clock and not your DOS.  Not
that it's a big problem, coming once in 4 years.{

Michael Volow, M.D.
Dept of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, N.C. 27705
919 286 0411                           mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

Geoffrey_Welsh@watmath.waterloo.edu (03/03/88)

 > From: wg@aluxp.UUCP (Bill Gieske)
 > Date: 29 Feb 88 12:52:51 GMT
 > I just discovered that my DOS 3.1 PC thinks it's 3/1 instead
 > of 2/29.  More
 > interesting is the discovery that it WILL NOT accept 2/29
 > as the date.

   The DATE command parsing may not accept 2/29, but if 2/29 is force
fed to DOS from a program that reads a hardware clock (as was my case), it
will grudgingly accept it.

   You have just under four years to write a program that uses a MS-DOS
Int 21H call to set the date to 2/29 (B^>)

   Geoff ( watmath!fido!221.171!izot )

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: The Waterloo Window: WOC's out there? (1:221/171)

brianc@cognos.uucp (Brian Campbell) (03/11/88)

In article <957@aluxp.UUCP> wg@aluxp.UUCP (Bill Gieske) writes:
> I just discovered that my DOS 3.1 PC thinks it's 3/1 instead of 2/29.  More
> interesting is the discovery that it WILL NOT accept 2/29 as the date.  Yet
> to come is what it does with the date rollover at the end of the day.  If
> time stamping is of importance to you, need I tell you more?

I think I just discovered the same thing.  I was fixing up a cal program
last night and ran it to verify its output.  Lo and behold, it told me that
March 12th was a Saturday.  This didn't seem likely since I knew it (today)
was very early Friday morning.  I got out a real calendar and checked the
date.  It was actually March 11th -- my system had gained a day.

I will verify it, but I think that PCDOS 3.1 didn't realize there was
supposed to be a February 29th this year!
--
Brian Campbell        uucp: decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!brianc
Cognos Incorporated   mail: POB 9707, 3755 Riverside Drive, Ottawa, K1G 3Z4