[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Microsoft Pageview V1.0

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/10/88)

We've received our copy of Microsoft Pageview V1.0 -- and it's a little
disappointing.

It doesn't actually support all the PostScript fonts -- if you attempt to
display a document that uses the Zapf or Symbol font families, you get
what looks like Courier on the screen.  Even worse, it doesn't know
about style sheets -- in the absence of explicit formatting, you get
Courier.

I would expect this sort of thing if the publisher of Pageview were an
outside company that didn't have access to the proprietary Word format --
I would even be pretty tolerant if style sheets were a pretty new
addition to Word.

Word doesn't make that much sense for real document production unless
you use style sheets -- and Pageview doesn't support styles!

Oh well, at least it was cheap.

Clayton E. Cramer

croft@spked.UUCP (Steve Croft) (03/13/88)

In article <1963@optilink.UUCP>, cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
> We've received our copy of Microsoft Pageview V1.0 -- and it's a little
> disappointing.
>
> It doesn't actually support all the PostScript fonts -- if you attempt to
> display a document that uses the Zapf or Symbol font families, you get
> what looks like Courier on the screen.

According to my doc on Word 4.0, Word doesn't support those fonts unless you
are using a LaserWriter Plus.  Why?  Who knows...  The only PS fonts
supported for non-LaserWriter Plus printers are Courier, Helvetica, LineDraw,
Symbol, and TimesRoman.

There was also a mention that PageView doesn't support Word Style Sheets...
too bad, 'cause that is one of Word's claims to fame..

later days
steve

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/14/88)

> In article <1963@optilink.UUCP>, cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
> > We've received our copy of Microsoft Pageview V1.0 -- and it's a little
> > disappointing.
> >
> > It doesn't actually support all the PostScript fonts -- if you attempt to
> > display a document that uses the Zapf or Symbol font families, you get
> > what looks like Courier on the screen.
>
> According to my doc on Word 4.0, Word doesn't support those fonts unless you
> are using a LaserWriter Plus.  Why?  Who knows...  The only PS fonts
> supported for non-LaserWriter Plus printers are Courier, Helvetica, LineDraw,
> Symbol, and TimesRoman.

Word doesn't DISPLAY those other fonts on the screen because they didn't
want to attempt to support them in graphics mode (laziness), and they can't
support them in text mode.

Pageview doesn't have that excuse -- it supports several different fonts,
and can painlessly (once the Windows fonts are built) support lots of
different fonts.

Clayton E. Cramer