[comp.sys.ibm.pc] QEdit 2.00 Patches

src@cup.portal.com (03/07/88)

I just received QEdit 2.00 and like many of the new features very much.

Unfortunately, some of the configurability that was available in previous
versions has been removed.  Losing the ability to disable the change in the
cursor shape in Insert and Overwrite modes was particularly annoying.
Annoying enough that I didn't want to wait for a possible reinstatement in
a future version so I went digging into the program with DEBUG and came up
with the following patch to disable cursor-shape modification:

                >debug q.com
                -a 23EA
                nop
                nop
                <Enter>
                -w
                -q

The two NOP instructions overwrite the INT 10h call to change the cursor
shape.

Another problem I encountered was with the new DOS command which loads a
new COMMAND.COM with the /C option.  I've changed the dos switchar from
slash (/) to dash (-) using the undocumented INT 21h, function 37h and all
programs I've used that have this "execute DOS command from within the
program" feature burp offensively when trying to use the "/C" option
(ProComm comes immediately to mind).  I dream of the day when software
developers will get the current switch character before constructing and
parsing command lines(sigh!).  Fortunately, patching programs to work with
-C has not been a big problem and QEdit was no different.

                >debug q.com
                -e A368 '-'
                -w
                -q

The option "/c" is located at CS:A368.  Simply change the slash to a dash.

Finally, I have a question that I hope one of you fellow QEdit'ers out
there can answer.  When running QCONFIG / O)therstuff, the question "Prompt
for filename on open window (Y/N)?" comes up.  I haven't been able to
figure out what this means.  Has anyone else been able to?

Steve Calwas                            src@cup.portal.com
Santa Clara, CA                         ..!sun!cup.portal.com!src

jkr@pyr.gatech.EDU (J. Kenneth Riviere (JoKeR)) (03/07/88)

In article <3706@cup.portal.com> src@cup.portal.com writes:
>Finally, I have a question that I hope one of you fellow QEdit'ers out
>there can answer.  When running QCONFIG / O)therstuff, the question "Prompt
>for filename on open window (Y/N)?" comes up.  I haven't been able to
>figure out what this means.  Has anyone else been able to?
>Steve Calwas                            src@cup.portal.com
>Santa Clara, CA                         ..!sun!cup.portal.com!src

There is a Qedit command for splitting the screen into multiple "windows"
for editing (by default this is assigned to ^oh).  When you invoke this command
it can either load the newly opened window with one of the files you are
already editing or it can ask you for the name of a new file which is to
be edited.  If you wish to be asked for a new name then answer 'y' to that
prompt and it will give you a prompt for a file name when you split the
screen into multiple windows.

J. Kenneth Riviere    (JoKeR)    ISA, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA  30332
Internet:  jkr@pyr.gatech.edu                  Bitnet:  iadt1kr@gitvm1
uucp: ...!{decvax,linus,rutgers,ihnp4,hplabs,seismo}!gatech!gitpyr!jkr
Fidonet: JoKeR's BBS, 133/303, (404)894-5784, 5:30pm-8:00am M-F,24hrs weekends

pt0o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Percival Tieng) (03/15/88)

I've been hearing quite a bit about QEdit.  Is it a PD program?
If so, could someone please post the binaries to it?

If not, can owners give me a price range for it ( eg. between
80 and 100 dollars ).

Thanks