[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Keyboard Lock-up

vcc@eecs.nwu.edu (Guest from Vogelback) (03/02/88)

Dear Netland,
  I have a question regarding lock-ups.  What causes the IBM PC's
keyboard to lock-up?  Is it always caused by errors in software?  Is
there anyway to recover from it without shutting off the computer and
losing everything?  The main reason I am asking is because I know of
some NEC IBM AT compatable machines running Bentley Microstation, MS-DOS
3.3 that are locking up quite frequently and drawings are being lost
(well the unsaved portion).  If anyone can offer any suggestions it
would be greatly appreciated.

	Jeff Olsen
	jeff@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (03/04/88)

In article <3580004@eecs.nwu.edu> vcc@eecs.nwu.edu (Guest from Vogelback) writes:
<
<Dear Netland,
<  I have a question regarding lock-ups.  What causes the IBM PC's
<keyboard to lock-up?  Is it always caused by errors in software?

I dunno' why, but...

<Is
<there anyway to recover from it without shutting off the computer and
<losing everything?

...here's what (sometimes) works for me: unplug the keyboard and
plug it back in again. The keyboard's controller resets and comes
back to life, ready to go.

keith

cs161abc@sdcc18.ucsd.EDU (Dennis Lou) (03/04/88)

In article <3580004@eecs.nwu.edu> vcc@eecs.nwu.edu (Guest from Vogelback) writes:
>  I have a question regarding lock-ups.  What causes the IBM PC's
>keyboard to lock-up?  Is it always caused by errors in software?  Is
>there anyway to recover from it without shutting off the computer and
>losing everything?  The main reason I am asking is because I know of

It's not always a software problem.  I once had a friend who had a
cheap Taiwanese keyboard that used to be mine.  It worked fine when
I had it, but after a while after I sold it to him, whenever I type
fast, it would lock up the system.  Fortunately, he can't type very
fast.  You can install a hard reset button that would do the same
thing as a powerdown-powerup but you'd still lose the data.

--
Dennis Lou	cs161abc@sdcc18.UCSD.EDU
		UUCP: {backbone} sdcsvax!sdcc18!cs161abc

markz@ssc.UUCP (Markz Zenier) (03/05/88)

In article <3580004@eecs.nwu.edu>, vcc@eecs.nwu.edu (Guest from Vogelback) writes:

> Dear Netland,
>   I have a question regarding lock-ups.  What causes the IBM PC's
> keyboard to lock-up?  Is it always caused by errors in software?  Is
> there anyway to recover from it without shutting off the computer and
> losing everything?  ...
> 	Jeff Olsen
> 	jeff@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu

 I had the problem with a Packard-Bell AT clone running Microport Unix V/AT
version 2.3.  A new keyboard fixed the lockup.  The  old keyboard would lockup
when a key was pressed and the console driver was changing the LEDs.  The timing
for data transmission is determined by the keyboard microcomputer, some are
slower than others.  The $6 fix is to get a keyboard extension cord, and
unplug the keyboard when it locks up.  The extension cord is so you don't have
to stand on your head to get at the keyboard jack on the system unit.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/08/88)

In article <3580004@eecs.nwu.edu>, vcc@eecs.nwu.edu (Guest from Vogelback) writes:

> Dear Netland,
>   I have a question regarding lock-ups.  What causes the IBM PC's
> keyboard to lock-up?  Is it always caused by errors in software?  Is
> there anyway to recover from it without shutting off the computer and
> losing everything?  ...
> 	Jeff Olsen
> 	jeff@nuacc.acns.nwu.edu

I have seen keyboard lockup cured by unplugging and replugging the
keyboard.  I have done it myself.  I *do not* suggest that you do this,
I am just making the information available to you.  This quite possibly
could damage the keyboard and/or computer. I believe that it is the ROM
firmware messing up the CPU in the keyboard, since (a) the two cases of
the problem I've seen have only been under DOS, using the BIOS, and not
under CCPM or UNIX, and (b) one was cured with a new version of the
BIOS.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

Gordon_Hull@raider (Gordon Hull) (03/08/88)

I've seen a couple of programs around (about 2-3k arced each) that
purport to "un-crash" programs and resore your system.  I haven't had
the opportunity to D/L them and check them out yet, although I do crash
my system enough to get some use out of them.  As I recall, they were
called  UNCRASH.ARC and ABORT.ARC.

Hope this helps,
Gordon Hull

---
 * Origin: Raiders Roost: Mid TN's FIRST FIDO<->UUCP GATEWAY ! (Opus 1:116/12)
SEEN-BY: 116/12

!  RAIDER - Middle Tennessee's First FIDO<->UUCP Gateway 615-896-7964  !
!  UUCP:...!{codas,ihnp4,sys1}!killer!raider!sysop     FIDO: 1:116/12  !
!  Sysop: Bob Reineri    FIDO<->UUCP Project Manager: Mark Bailey      !

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (03/09/88)

The most common cause of locking up a keyboard is hitting <ctrl>p
or <shift>prt-sc or <ctrl>prt-sc on a machine with a printer port but
without a connected, turn-on printer. This happens to me at least twice
a day.

emv@panchovilla.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (03/11/88)

In article <45900118@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>The most common cause of locking up a keyboard is hitting <ctrl>p
>or <shift>prt-sc or <ctrl>prt-sc on a machine with a printer port but
>without a connected, turn-on printer. This happens to me at least twice
>a day.

I stuck a paper clip in the printer port to make that problem go away.
Can't remember the theory but the practice is like this:

   o o \ o o o o o o o o o o      put the paper clip in connecting the
    o o \ o o o o o o o o o        marked pins and it doesn't hang.

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan mail group.

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu ([bob, mon]) (03/12/88)

In article <45900118@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>The most common cause of locking up a keyboard is hitting <ctrl>p
>or <shift>prt-sc or <ctrl>prt-sc on a machine with a printer port but
>without a connected, turn-on printer. This happens to me at least twice
>a day.

I found (from this net, natch) a really neat TSR called prtsc1.  When you
do a prtsc, it gives you a choice of printing options, namely

	Choose: Standard  Very-condensed  Expanded  NLQ  96cpi  Boldface

There are two more options, Remove-TSR (dangerous, since I have others on
top of it) and Escape from the operation.  This last is the one I use A LOT.

I'll post it to binaries as soon as I can.  Sorry, I don't have source.

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (03/15/88)

In article <45900118@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>The most common cause of locking up a keyboard is hitting <ctrl>p
>or <shift>prt-sc or <ctrl>prt-sc on a machine with a printer port but
>without a connected, turn-on printer. This happens to me at least twice
>a day.

If you're working on a computer that doesn't even have a printer
then one of the best things to do is get a printer-redirection
utility that you can uses to aim printer output to a disk file.

This has saved me from the (appx.) 20 second time out (which seems
to last for 20 _minutes_ when it happens!) "at least twice a day."

keith

inews food
inews food
gads how I hate inews fascism