[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Text Editor Advice

jal@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (03/14/88)

I know this has been discussed before, but I it is only now
that I am interested in the results.  I am in need of a
PD (or very inexpensive) text editor (not word processor) for
use with MS-DOS.  The editor is to be used by undergraduate
students who are familiar with computers but are not taking
a computer course.  As a result the editor needs to be "easy
to use" (whatever that means).

Anyway, I would appreciate any recomendations along with a
pointer to where I can find the recommended editor.

Thanks for the help.

John Lefor
716-275-8265

jal@ee.rochester.edu  or
... !rochester!ur-valhalla!jal

billb@amcad.UUCP (Bill Burton) (03/15/88)

In article <1186@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu> jal@galaxy.ee.rochester.edu (John Lefor) writes:
>I know this has been discussed before, but I it is only now
>that I am interested in the results.  I am in need of a
>PD (or very inexpensive) text editor (not word processor) for
>use with MS-DOS.
[...]
>John Lefor
>716-275-8265
>
>jal@ee.rochester.edu  or
>... !rochester!ur-valhalla!jal

I would highly recommend MicroEMACS.  It's configurable so you can add
your own menus, special keys, etc.  Below are portions of the README
file:
		MicroEMACS 3.9 Release Notes	July 22, 1987

	(C)opyright 1987 by Daniel M. Lawrence
	MicroEMACS 3.9 can be copied and distributed freely for any
	non-commercial purposes. MicroEMACS 3.9 can only be incorporated
	into commercial software with the permission of the current author.

	MicroEMACS 3.9 is availible in a couple of different ways.
First, it is availible via my bulletin board system.....

	The Programmer's Room
	FIDO 201/2
	(317) 742-5533
	24 hours  300/1200 baud

	Also it should be online on the following BBS's:

	The Starship Trooper	Fido 201/1	(317) 423-2281	2400

	[These following two are open from 10pm till 5pm
				and only while Purdue is in session]
	The NightStaff		Fido 201/4	(317) 495-4270	1200
	The Access Violation	Fido 201/5	(317) 495-4270	9600

	There it is arranged as three MSDOS .ARC files, EMACSDOC.ARC
which contains the documentation and command files, EMACSSRC.ARC which
contains the sources and the UNIX Makefile, and EMACSEXE.EXE which
contains the MSDOS executables.  Also all the various executables are
available individually.

[portion deleted]

	As before, I will continue to support these programs, and
encourage everyone to spread them around as much as they can.  If you
make what you think are changes that are useful to many, send me the
updates, and as time permits, I will incorporate the ones I understand,
and agree with into the master sources.

	MicroEMACS is available on disk directly from my by sending me
$25 per order and a note specifying the disk format and the product that
you need.  I can fill orders for IBM-PC high/low density 5 1/4 and 3
1/5, ATARI ST single and double density, AMIGA disks and HP150 disks.
(You do not need to send disks or mailers, I will provide these.) The
distribution set includes on disk all docs, executables and sources.
Also I will register you and you will receive automatic notices of new
versions of all the programs I am releasing.

	Commercial lisences to allow MicroEMACS to be incorporated into
other software packages are also available at a reasonable per package
price. Also I am available to do customization of MicroEMACS at an
hourly rate. Send all requests to the address below:

	USmail:	Daniel Lawrence
		617 New York St
		Lafayette, IN 47901

	UUCP:	pur-ee!j.cc.purdue.edu!nwd
	ARPA:	nwd@j.cc.purdue.edu
	FIDO:	The Programmer's Room 201/2
		(317) 742-5533
	ATT:	(317) 742-5153

[ rest of README deleted ]

--

Hope this helps.
Bill

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (03/17/88)

The PC version of EMACS is available for free.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger