[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ARC standards

tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) (03/17/88)

My thought on the question of ARC file portability is why isn't some
sort of standard devised.  It seems to me that with the volume of
stuff going from machine to machine over phone lines this would have
been an issue brought up some time ago.  I would sure be nice if
there was some standard DOS/UNIX/VMS/Whatever-else-turns-you-on
ARC file format.  How about a program that combines this compression
with builtin optional uuencoding?  (Maybe I need to read about
data compression techniques...this program sounds like a really
good 401 project for school).

Tad
--
	   Tad Marko at UNIX Connection BBS AT&T 3B2, Dallas, Texas
   "And the knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them..."

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/17/88)

In article <3721@killer.UUCP> tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) writes:
>My thought on the question of ARC file portability is why isn't some
>sort of standard devised.  It seems to me that with the volume of

  ARC is the original program from SEAware, and it's format is a
standard of sorts. There are UNIX programs which do a reasonable job of
handling this format, and, I'm told, a VMS ARC reader program.

  For a portable standard I have switched to "zoo" as being truly
portable. I run it on BSD, SysV, MS-DOS, SunOS, VMS, etc. I have been
told that it runs on Amiga and Atari also.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)