[comp.sys.ibm.pc] X-RAYS and color monitors!

timothym@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Timothy D Margeson) (03/16/88)

In  wilk@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Michael Wilk) writes:
>I was able to improve the colors on my Multisync by taking the cover off
>and adjusting internal controls.....
>NEC doesn't tell you about these controls because it is VERY DANGEROUS to
>be playing around with the inside of the monitor while it's on, and it
>has to be on for you to see the results of your adjustments.  I don't know
>why NEC didn't make these controls more accessbile.

Well, not only is the risk on shock high, the risk of setting the beam current
levels above safe limits is more dangerous.

Nothing like having a GLOWING monitor. Yes, you too can be a night lite!

Seriously folks, tweaking the wrong controls inside a color monitor DOES
increase the X-ray emmissions to NON-SAFE LEVELS!

That's why they don't tell you anything about making your own adjustments.

I highly recommend if you don't like the way the monitor looks, take it to
a serious repair person, or send it back to whoever manufactured it. OR, at
the least, order the service manual from the manufacturer, and use the proper
tools to do the adjustments as dictated in that manual.

I did similar adjustments to my Sony, and found (after I received the manual)
that I had set the currents a bit too high. There are LOTS of warnings in the
manual on why not to do this. WARNING - Setting adhustments beyond this level
causes ecessive amounts of X-RADIATION to be emmitted from this device!

So folks -- have fun, but don't mess with those controls!!!!

--
Tim Margeson (206)253-5240
PO Box 3500  d/s C1-937                          @@   'Who said that?'

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (03/18/88)

The x-rays are a result of the second anode voltage - in the
neighborhood of 20,000 volts.  Most of the internal adjustments
will NOT affect that.  I don't think I've seen a color monitor
from the factory (any brand) in the past 5 years that didn't
need to be converged - that's a routine service adjustment, and
it won't affect the radiation levels from the CRT.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger