[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MEAN18 AUTHOR REPLIES TO POSTING:

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (03/16/88)

In article <2963@pbhyf.UUCP> che@pbhyf.UUCP (Mitch Che) writes:
> I can choose to distribute material that I have copyrighted in the public
> domain.  I do not have to give up "copyrights" (so to speak) to place
> something in the public domain.  [...] a lot of authors of public domain
> and shared software . . . ain't about to give up their copyrights.

A totally nonsensical posting.

I am continually amazed at the level of ignorance (usually accompanied by
an equal measure of arrogance) exhibited by some people on the copyright
vs. public domain issue.  I will be as brief as I can so as not to tax
some attention spans.

"Copyrights" and "Public Domain" are mutually exclusive!
                                     ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
"Copyright" means I have a legal right to exercise some level of control
over a copyrightable work, and I am excercising some or all of that right.

"Public Domain" means NO ONE has a legal right to exercise ANY level of
control over an otherwise copyrightable work.  It is free, public property!

If I give everyone the right to copy, distribute, and use my copyrighted
work, I have NOT placed it in the Public Domain, nor have I given up my
copyright.  I have mearly relinquished some of my rights under the copyright,
while retaining all others.

Please do not confuse Public Domain with publically-available-for-
unlimited-distribution-and-use-at-no-or-minimal-charge.  The first is
a legal concept.  The second is a social/marketing concept.

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481

che@pbhyf.UUCP (Mitch Che) (03/18/88)

In article <1157@slvblc.UUCP>, dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) writes:
> I am continually amazed at the level of ignorance (usually accompanied by
> an equal measure of arrogance) exhibited by some people on the copyright
> vs. public domain issue.  I will be as brief as I can so as not to tax
> some attention spans.
Dick, ouchy, touchy!  I thought I'd post a copy of some mail I recently
sent (to someone who pointed out the difference between PD and
distribution) to clarify my original point:

From che Tue Mar 15 21:54:22 1988
To: ptsfa!bellcore!utah-cs!cai.utah.edu!.....
Subject: Re: MEAN18 AUTHOR REPLIES TO POSTING:

I stand corrected.  Sloppy terminology, but then I'm not a lawyer.
My point remains the same as in my original posting - whether it's
free public distribution, shareware, or whatever (as you pointed out,
not "public domain"), copyrighted != "paid for at a store or mailorder."
I don't know the person who originally posted the software that started
all this, but the implication that he naturally should have known that
it was a commercial program because of the copyright is foolish.  Someone
else posted "a copyright is all you need to know"  Give me a break.
	Let's say you see this:   "Copyright 1988 J. Smith"
Is this software from a store, mailorder, free distribution, the Net
or pirated?  If you can't tell from this line alone, then it must be
something other than the copyright notice that gives it away.  Oh
well....
--
Mitch Che   Pacific Bell		 "Tape librarians will mount anything."