[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS 3.3 merits

wg@aluxp.UUCP (Bill Gieske) (03/17/88)

I have a Leading Edge Model D with DOS 3.1.  I am primarily interested
in DOS 3.3 so I can have more environment space for a longer PATH string.
The cost of 3.3 is too much just for the above benefit.  Why else would
I want to upgrade?  What am I (have I been) missing?

As an aside, I tried increasing the environment space without success.
The method supposedly works, but is undocumeted in 3.1.

Thanks.

murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) (03/19/88)

In article <958@aluxp.UUCP> wg@aluxp.UUCP (Bill Gieske) writes:

>I have a Leading Edge Model D with DOS 3.1.  I am primarily interested
>in DOS 3.3 so I can have more environment space for a longer PATH string.
>The cost of 3.3 is too much just for the above benefit.  Why else would
>I want to upgrade?  What am I (have I been) missing?

DOS 3.3 offers new and enhanced commands.  What you
are missing depends on how much you really need these enhancements.
I use 3.3 and I really like the new APPEND command and the enhanced
batch file support.  Here is some info:

APPEND provides a DOS path-like support for data files in addition to
program files.

FASTOPEN provides for fast access of files by holding in memory the locations
of directories of recently open files.

BACKUP formats disks on the fly, and creates a log file.

Batch file enchancements include suppresion of ECHO OFF, calling other
batch files and returning to calling file (Nice).

DATE/TIME set the system AND the permanent clock.

But if all you want is to increase environment space,  try these two
things:

      use SUBST to compact your path line by including SUBST'd drives:
           subst p: c:\this\is\where\i\keep\programs
           path = p:\;etc...

      use the SHELL designator in your config.sys
           SHELL=c:\command.com /E:1024 /P

      This loads a 'new' shell and increases your envirionment space to
      1k (/E) and makes the shell permanent.  Works everytime.  It may
      not be available to all 3.x,  see the DOS manual under config.
 Rodrigo Murillo, University of Colorado - Boulder  (303) 761-0410
 murillo@boulder.colorado.edu | ..{hao|nbires}!boulder!murillo
 ( Machines have less problems.  I'd like to be a machine. -- Andy Worhol )