[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 3.5" drive for old PC-1 ?

qintar@agora.UUCP (Jim Seymour) (03/14/88)

Okay, I know this topic has received quite a bit of cover already, but I didn't
pay attention...

What is necessary to get a 3.5" drive to work on a PC/XT?  Here's what I have
now:  IBM PC-1 with 64K on mother board, a couple of AST SixPak's, an IBM
floppy disk controller driving two full-height 360K drives, an Expansion Unit
with two ten-megabyte hard drives and the appropriate old-as-the-hills
controller.  I'm running PC-DOS 3.2.

The floppy controller has a connector on the back for a third drive (and I
believe can handle a fourth as well).  What I want is an external 3.5" drive
that I can plug into my existing controller.  What I expect I'll have to buy,
though, is another controller.  Any help?

Please send e-mail to qintar@agora.UUCP.

     -Jim Seymour              ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!qintar
     Cipher Systems, Inc.                           USMail:
     P.O. Box 329                                   1308 S.E. Division
     North Plains, OR  97133                        Portland, OR 97202

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (03/22/88)

That's correct:  You'll have to buy another controller.  If you're
willing to sacrifice one of the 5.25" drives, you can get a controller
from JDR Microdevices that ought to work.  If you want all three
drives, consider the Compaticard controller from Micro Solutions,
DeKalb, il.  It can handle 8", 5.25", and 3.5" drives, high and
normal density.  The cost is $ 175.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

dd@beta.UUCP (Dan Davison) (03/23/88)

In article <16800244@clio>, berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

> That's correct:  You'll have to buy another controller.  If you're
> 			Mike Berger

No.  If you want a 3.5" 720K drive, IBM (among others) sells one that runs off
the existing floppy controller.  I've got one.  The only requirement is that
you have DOS 3.2 for the DRIVER.SYS device driver.

However, if you want a 1.4 Meg microfloppy drive, yup, a new controller is
needed.

--
dan davison/theoretical biology/t-10 ms k710/los alamos national laboratory
los alamos, nm 875545/dd@lanl.gov (arpa)/dd@lanl.uucp(new)/..cmcl2!lanl!dd

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (03/25/88)

With my old PC-1 I installed a 3.5" drive as drive C: by soldering a
ribbon cable to the appropriate pins on the (inside of the) rear panel
connector of the floppy disk controller. It took some time to figure it
all out, and I used a bus wire (16 gauge, I think) bent in a hoop to
solder all the ground wires to. The other end of the ribbon cable was
terminated in the appropriate connector for the drive; it worked and I
was happy with it.

keith