[comp.sys.ibm.pc] OS/2 Programming Considerations.

sam@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Sam "SammyBake" Moore) (03/25/88)

I am getting ready to port some DOS applications to OS/2. I have just started
looking at the Programmer's Toolkit and OS/2 Tech. Ref. I am wondering if other
people have already attempted this. If so, do you have any pointers.

What is the best way to support code for both OS/2 and DOS? The simple example
program that comes with the toolkit that creates a DOS executable from an OS/2
executable leads me to think that is not a reasonable way to do it. The program
does very little, just some standard I/O. In OS/2 it is about 9K in DOS it is
about 42K.

One of the applications is a terminal emulator. Information or example code
using the ASYNC device would be nice, also. Examples that address the display
memory directly in graphics modes would be nice.

Thanks.

--
Sam Moore                          ||\\  || //==\\ //==\\ ||   ||
NCSU Computing Center              || \\ || ||     ||==\\ ||   ||

murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) (03/26/88)

In article <1620@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> sam@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Sam "SammyBake" Moore) writes:
>What is the best way to support code for both OS/2 and DOS? The simple example
>program that comes with the toolkit that creates a DOS executable from an OS/2
>executable leads me to think that is not a reasonable way to do it. The program
>does very little, just some standard I/O. In OS/2 it is about 9K in DOS it is
>about 42K.

There is something that is called a Family Application.  This is a program
that is written in such a way that it will run under DOS and OS/2 without
changes.  The problem is that programs that are coded this way have to be
very generic, and not use OS dependent resources.  Good targets for Family
Applications are things like compilers and line editors and the like.  They
treat the screen the same way (line by line) and use basic file i/o.
I believe that C/2 compiler will have additional info on this.

 Rodrigo Murillo, University of Colorado - Boulder  (303) 761-0410
 murillo@boulder.colorado.edu | ..{hao|nbires}!boulder!murillo
 ( Machines have less problems.  I'd like to be a machine. -- Andy Warhol )