[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Windows Terminal

se6@cs.vu.nl (Houweling E) (03/27/88)

When I try to establish connection with a remote computer with
Windows Terminal, the modem dials the number, makes the connection and
Terminal gives an error message saying " can't communicate with modem".
  When I use PROCOMM I can make a connection, log on, call a dos-shell
from within Procomm, start Windows, start Terminal and -- magic  --
Terminal works !
I wonder why Terminal could not make the connection in the first place  ?
Does anyone have a solution ?

Rene Baart
School of Business Administration
Free University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
EMAIL : bagron@cs.vu.nl

stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) (03/28/88)

In article <970@tjalk.cs.vu.nl> se6@cs.vu.nl (Houweling E) writes:

>When I try to establish connection with a remote computer with
>Windows Terminal, the modem dials the number, makes the connection and
>Terminal gives an error message saying " can't communicate with modem".
>  When I use PROCOMM I can make a connection, log on, call a dos-shell
>from within Procomm, start Windows, start Terminal and -- magic  --
>Terminal works !
>I wonder why Terminal could not make the connection in the first place  ?
>Does anyone have a solution ?
>
>Rene Baart
>School of Business Administration
>Free University of Amsterdam
>Amsterdam, The Netherlands
>EMAIL : bagron@cs.vu.nl

I've had a similar problem...but only when I set up the Terminal program for
7-bit, no parity (the mode needed to communicate with our systems at the
university, naturally).  In 8-bit mode the modem dials fine, but in 7-bit I
get absolutely nothing (not even a dial tone!).
But then I can't get ANY of the terminal emulators
I have to autodial in 7-bit mode...even though I can use ATDT to dial manually.
Is this just a bug in the way these programs talk to modems?  Has anyone else
had this problem?  Do external modems also suffer from this, or is it something
about the way internal modems are hooked up to the system bus?  I tried the
same thing on a friend's Windows 1.00 and it worked fine.

Anyone have any ideas on this one...It's most frustrating!

Thanks in advance...
Steve Ward
stevewa@upvax.UUCP
!tektronix!upvax!stevewa