[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Echo Off! Solution!

maa@nbires.nbi.com (Mark Armbrust) (03/23/88)

If you are using ANSI.SYS or some variant, you can say:

	echo off
	echo *[A*[K*[2A		* = <escape>

What this does is does is to back up a line and erase the "echo off" that
MS-DOS so kindly left behind.  So it's a KLUDGE...flame Microsoft, not me!

The number and placement of the up-line commands (<esc>[A) may need to be
adjusted for different version of MS-DOS, the above is for NBI's version of
2.11.

Use the debugger to create the first copy of this "program", thereafter,
you can prepend it using your favorite editor.

Happy Hacking!
Mark Armbrust

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/23/88)

In article <1256@nbires.nbi.com> maa@nbires.UUCP (Mark Armbrust) writes:
| [...]
| What this does is does is to back up a line and erase the "echo off" that
| MS-DOS so kindly left behind.  So it's a KLUDGE...flame Microsoft, not me!

Why flame Microsoft. When users requested a feature they provided it. In
DOS 3.3 you can put a @ (as I recall) in column one of any command and
it will not be echoed. Your solution is very useful, if ugly.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (03/24/88)

>Why flame Microsoft. When users requested a feature they provided it.

Sure.  THREE YEARS LATER!

I'd say that is typical of Microsoft's response to user requests.
--
     john nelson

UUCP:            {decvax,mit-eddie}!genrad!teddy!jpn
ARPA (sort of):  talcott.harvard.edu!panda!teddy!jpn

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (03/25/88)

In article <10063@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> Why flame Microsoft. When users requested a feature they provided it.

No, they really didn't.  They made a fundamental design blunder in the first
place -- "echo off" should have been the default condition.  There is no
disadvange whatsoever: you could use "echo on" if you WANTED the stupid
thing to echo.  This blunder was evident in DOS 2.0.  People complained.
Out came DOS 2.1 with the same stupidity entrenched.  More people complained.
Out came DOS 3.0 with the idiocy intact.  Still more people complained.
DOS 3.1 came out.  Guess what?  Well, maybe in DOS 3.2?  No, ignorance
remained triumphant despite voluminous complaints, and a flood of patches
and fixes on BBSs and computer networks nation-wide. Now, DOS 3.3 -- is
"echo off" the default, at long last? NO!  You STILL have to include
"Echo off" in EVERY batch file, and shut up its own echo with an "@"
symbol.  WHY?

When Microsoft responds to individual user's complaints will be the day
the earth stands still.

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

chuckb@tc.fluke.COM (Chuck Bowden) (03/25/88)

In article <1256@nbires.nbi.com>, maa@nbires.nbi.com (Mark Armbrust) writes:

> If you are using ANSI.SYS or some variant, you can say:
>
> 	echo off
> 	echo *[A*[K*[2A		* = <escape>
>
> (... more stuff deleted)

I don't know if this is just in MS-DOS 3.3, but placing an "@" symbol before
your command in a batch file suppresses the echo of that line.

e.g.,

@echo off
rest
of
stuff
in
.bat file
@echo on

works, or if you prefer:

@command 1
@command 2
@etc.

In some cases you will the prompt will appear twice after executing a batch
file, e.g.

C:\YOURDIR>
C:\YOURDIR>

The fix for this is to edit the batch file so that there is no blank line
after the last command.

Chuck Bowden, WB7R, chuckb@tc.fluke.COM
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
M/S 232-E, P.O.Box C-9090, Everett, WA 98206

jfadams@tc.fluke.COM (Jim Adams) (03/25/88)

I don't recall which versions of MS DOS this applies to, but I simply put an
"@" sign in front of each command I'd like to keep quiet:

		@d:prog %1
		@dir/w
		@c:

Another solution:

		@echo off
		d:prog %1
		dir/w
		c:

--
James F. Adams       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
WORLD:jfadams@tc.fluke.COM

t-gregr@microsoft.UUCP (Greg Reddick) (03/28/88)

In article <10885@ut-sally.UUCP> nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:
>In article <10063@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com>, davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
>> Why flame Microsoft. When users requested a feature they provided it.
>
>No, they really didn't.  They made a fundamental design blunder in the first
>place -- "echo off" should have been the default condition.  There is no
>disadvange whatsoever: you could use "echo on" if you WANTED the stupid
>thing to echo.  This blunder was evident in DOS 2.0.  People complained.

... stuff deleted ...

>When Microsoft responds to individual user's complaints will be the day
>the earth stands still.
>
>--
>Ed Nather

Note that anything that I say about Microsoft is my own personal understanding
and as far as I know contains no inside information. (disclaimer)

Sorry Ed, but starting with MS-DOS 3.3, you can't lay the problem on
Microsoft any more.  DOS 3.3 is created by IBM and licensed back to
Microsoft.  Course your comments about previous versions may (or may not)
be valid, I'M not going to say! :-)

Greg Reddick
Microsoft

--------
I may sound like I know what I'm talking about, but I've merely got you
fooled!

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (03/29/88)

I've got a good solution for you.

Unplug your monitor right before you run your batch file.

Then you won't have to see the echo off.

--
   __      _  _      _____   Bill Fenner      wcf @ psuhcx.bitnet
  /  )    // //       /  '                    wcf @ hcx.psu.edu