[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Want AT hard drive recommendations.

bfc@hpisla.HP.COM (Bryan Carpenter) (03/26/88)

I'm looking for a new hard disk to upgrade my IBM AT.  The features I
want are:

-> 40 to 60 MB
-> either uses my original IBM controller card, or uses a new controller
   card that replaces my old one and drives the floppies (I don't want to
   use up another card slot.)
-> under 30 ms. access time
-> fits the standard internal AT hard drive slot
-> is a drive type that my early AT bios will recognize, or else provides
   some way to cleanly integrate it into the system
-> prefer name-brand drive, such as Seagate, Miniscribe, CDC, etc.

Can anyone suggest a good solution for a reasonable price?
Thanks.

Bryan Carpenter
Hewlett-Packard Co.
Loveland, CO

mxb@pyuxf.UUCP (Michael Brochstein) (03/30/88)

In article <5830003@hpisla.HP.COM>, bfc@hpisla.HP.COM (Bryan Carpenter) writes:

> I'm looking for a new hard disk to upgrade my IBM AT.

	I installed the Miniscribe 71 MB drive about three months ago and
have been very happy.  I have noticed it priced for 799. in various
ads in PC Week.  It fits all of the criterium you mention although it is a
little larger than you wanted.  PC Magazine has done a couple of comparison
test reports on hard drives for AT's within the last year or two.  They are
very helpful.
--
Michael Brochstein                             Currently at Bellcore/PY4-B222
(201) 699-7177-work                                            Piscataway, NJ