[comp.sys.ibm.pc] An Alternative to Windows Terminal

chan@encore.UUCP (Jerry Chan) (03/30/88)

In article <383@upvax.UUCP> stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) writes:
>In article <970@tjalk.cs.vu.nl> se6@cs.vu.nl (Houweling E) writes:
>>
>>When I try to establish connection with a remote computer with
>>Windows Terminal, the modem dials the number, makes the connection and
>>Terminal gives an error message saying " can't communicate with modem".
>>  When I use PROCOMM I can make a connection, log on, call a dos-shell
>>from within Procomm, start Windows, start Terminal and -- magic  --
>>Terminal works !
>>I wonder why Terminal could not make the connection in the first place  ?
>>Does anyone have a solution ?

I too had identical problems with the terminal program in Windows 2.03 (I
have since abandoned this program as USELESS due to the lack of key features
which I consider necessary) whereas on the same hardware the terminal
program / Windows 1.04 works "fine".

However, *not all* is at loss...  Why not do the less obvious -- b'dazzle
your family and Mac-wielding friends -- and run Procomm from *within*
Windows 2.0?  I have successfully done exactly that and have been able to
achieve the *appearance* of multitasking.  Perform the following:

	* Run Procomm (*not* using Windows) and set up for Procomm to
	  perform screen writes using the BIOS (I believe you get to the
	  appropriate menu using ALT-S).  Save the configuration.

	* Run Windows

	* From the Windows Executive, run PIFEDIT (Alt-F R)

	* Create a PIF (Program Interchange File ?) file which describes
	  Procomm; I have used 220K as memory requirements on Procomm 2.4.2.
	  Don't specify too little -- Windows *will* crash if you lie and
	  tell it that Procomm uses less memory than is actually needed.
	  Specify NO DIRECT SCREEN WRITES, NO DIRECT MEMORY ACCESSES, NO
	  GRAPHICS INTERCHANGE ["Trust me"]; EXPERIMENT to achieve what
	  suits your needs.  Save the PIF file and put it in an appropriate
	  place (I have mine in c:\windows\pif).

	* Hold your hands in the air, moving your fingers in a circular
	  fashion, and say "*exorbitancy*".

There you have it!  From now on, you can run Procomm (by double clicking on
the Procomm executable or by specifying ALT-F R <Procomm-file path> from
*within* Windows.  Screen writes aren't as snappy as direct screen writes,
but what's a half-second here or there?

I have successfully achieved what appears to be, if I may loosely say the
"M"-word, *Multitasking* (disclaimer: It's not *real* multitasking, but
close enough).  Imagine running Windows applications while Procomm is busily
transferring files in its own separate window (your mileage may vary
depending on your hardware configuration; I use a 10Mhz AT clone).  Not too
shabby.

By the way, the above steps are more-or-less generic and can be used for
*all* well-behaved programs to get them to run within Windows 2.03.  Just
change the PIF parameters as necessary.

Mr. Apple Computer, eat your heart out :-) !

   +----------------+  Jerry H. Chan                linus--+
+--+-------------+  |  Encore Computer Corp.       necntc--|
|  +-------------+--+  Marlboro MA 01752           decvax--|
+----------------+     (617) 460-0500             talcott--+