[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for Korean Character Support

mike@dhw68k.cts.com (Michael J. Cleary) (03/24/88)

I am looking for a program that will handle the Korean character set
on an MS-DOS environment.  If there is something that addresses this,
I would love to hear about it.  If not, I have heard of a generic language
word processor that lets you define your own character set.  I would be
interested in any information.

---

Michael J. Cleary,
uunet!ucsd!ucrmath!candh!mike

guest@mit-hermes.ai.mit.edu.AI.MIT.EDU (G. U. Est Random) (03/26/88)

In article <6138@dhw68k.cts.com> mike@dhw68k.cts.com (Michael J. Cleary) writes:
>I am looking for a program that will handle the Korean character set
>on an MS-DOS environment.  If there is something that addresses this,
>I would love to hear about it.  If not, I have heard of a generic language
>word processor that lets you define your own character set.  I would be
>interested in any information.

Michael:  Are you interested in hangul or hanja?  You can get hanja
with the Duke Chinese Typist, which I discussed in a follow-up article
in this section and a few others--but you'd probably want the ability
to intersperse hangul, right?  Well, the Duke Chinese Typist will
eventually have a hangul interface (as well as katakana and hiragana
interfaces for typing in Japanese).  Refer to my other article.

				--Scott Horne

shorne@amber.cs.clemson.edu
BITNET:  PHORNE@CLEMSON

Scott Horne
P.O. Box 9495
Univ. Stat.
Clemson, SC   29632

803 656-8181

donnag@hpfclr.HP.COM (Donna Griffiths) (03/26/88)

I've been checking into this and I don't know that there are any
software packages that will understand Korean characters as you
describe on a "regular" IBM PC . There are two problems: input and
output!
However, HP makes an asian IBM PC clone. I am relatively sure that
they have a Korean version that will do everything you want.
I saw one about two weeks ago and it was really neat.

		I hope this helps!

			Good Luck,
					Donna

E mail: donnag@hpfclr.HP.COM

skyi@june.cs.washington.edu (Seungku Yi) (04/02/88)

In article <6138@dhw68k.cts.com>, mike@dhw68k.cts.com (Michael J. Cleary) writes:
> I am looking for a program that will handle the Korean character set
> on an MS-DOS environment.  If there is something that addresses this,
> I would love to hear about it.  If not, I have heard of a generic language
> word processor that lets you define your own character set.  I would be
> interested in any information.

I would like to hear about it too.

SeungKu Yi
skyi@june.cs.washington.edu

kevin@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Kevin Tubbs) (04/02/88)

>In article <6138@dhw68k.cts.com>, mike@dhw68k.cts.com (Michael J. Cleary) writes:
>> I am looking for a program that will handle the Korean character set
>> on an MS-DOS environment.  If there is something that addresses this,
>> I would love to hear about it.  If not, I have heard of a generic language
>> word processor that lets you define your own character set.  I would be
>> interested in any information.

THe manual for my display board may interest you.  I have a CT-8190S EGA/HGA
board, which even emulates Hercules on an EGA monitor.  It was purchased
from JDR Microdevices (# MCT-HEGA).  The manual makes reference to "special
Hercules emulation" that supports "KOREA-language-version GEMWRITE".  That's
about all it says - apparently something lost in translation (Korean-made
board).
--
Kevin Tubbs, 5152 Upson, Cornell University, Ithaca NY, 14853  (607) 255-8703
kevin@calvin.ee.cornell.edu  {ihnp4,uunet,rochester}!cornell!calvin!kevin