[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Patches to ARC-BSD

afc@i.cc.purdue.edu (Greg Flint) (04/05/88)

Sorry for the non-binary posting to comp.binaries.ibm.pc, but that is where
the original article appeared.

I believe that an if-test is reversed in arcpack.c.  This is the result of a
visual inspection of the patch file.  I have not attempted any validation of
the new ARC-BSD for compression, but I have used it to successfully uncompress
PKARC-ed, squashed files that have been posted to the net.

In article <5937@swan.ulowell.edu> boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) writes:
>Here are the appropriate patches to make the ARC-BSD program
>squash-compatible. These patches only apply to the BSD version, not the SYS

   <some original lines deleted>

>diff -c oldarc/arcpack.c newarc/arcpack.c
>*** oldarc/arcpack.c	Sat Apr  2 15:45:16 1988
>--- newarc/arcpack.c	Sat Apr  2 15:47:46 1988
>***************

   <some original lines deleted>

>--- 180,199 ----
>                     putc_tst(c,t);
>           }
>           else                          /* else re-crunch */
>!          {    if(dosquash)
>! 		sqinit_cm(f, t);
>! 	      else
>! 		init_cm(f,t);
>! 	   if(dosquash)

The if-test in the above line should be altered as follows (reverse if test):
>! 	   if(!dosquash)

   <remaining original lines deleted>

Greg Flint 	  Math G-185	    (317) 494-1787  UUCP:  j.cc.purdue.edu!gdf
  Purdue Univ.	  Purdue University		    ARPA:  gdf@j.cc.purdue.edu
  Computing Ctr.  West Lafayette, IN 47907	  BITNET:  flint@purccvm.bitnet

julian@uhccux.UUCP (Julian Cowley) (04/05/88)

Coordinator) writes:
>Here are the appropriate patches to make the ARC-BSD program
>squash-compatible. These patches only apply to the BSD version, not the SYS
>V version. Save this posting, delete all lines up to and including "CUT
>HERE", and feed the file to sh. It will unpack two files: arcpatch and
>squash.c. Feed arcpatch to 'patch' via 'patch <arcpatch', and then
>recompile.

Keep in mind that this is actually a diff of the original BSD arc
program and an update that was posted on the net last July by Dan
Lanciani.  There is a bug in the update when you try to add files to
an archive using the q (use squashing) option, and you will find
yourself going nowhere fast in an endless loop.  Perhaps we can rehash
the author's plea for someone to have a go at fixing it, but it sure
doesn't sound like much fun.

...!ihnp4!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!julian
julian@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
julian@uhccux.bitnet