[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm//Help

uggrenon@sunybcs (Paul Grenon) (03/19/88)

Hi -

  Does anyone one is there are ARRAYS ( or something like arrays) in
  Procomm's script language?

  I know there are the 10 user definable variables (s0-s9), but
  what i'm trying to do is set up a generic download script, which
  will prompt the user for the file names (more then 10! (but not
  a fixed number either)) to be downloaded, and then do the
  actual download unattended.

  If Procomm doesn't have this feature, can you suggest a PD TCP
  that does? And where I can get it...

Thanks!

Paul J Grenon	(PJ)                		SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
internet: uggrenon@cs.buffalo.edu		bitnet: uggrenon@sunybcs.BITNET
csnet: uggrenon@buffalo.CSNET
uucp: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!uggrenon

aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) (03/20/88)

In article <9427@sunybcs.UUCP>, uggrenon@sunybcs (Paul Grenon) writes:

>   I know there are the 10 user definable variables (s0-s9), but
>   what i'm trying to do is set up a generic download script, which
>   will prompt the user for the file names (more then 10! (but not
>   a fixed number either)) to be downloaded, and then do the
>   actual download unattended.
>   If Procomm doesn't have this feature, can you suggest a PD TCP
>   that does? And where I can get it...

You can write a script that calls a program and then executes another
script.   then write (in C or (god forbid) something else) a prog thatll
accept filenames and build a temp script.  (the one that the initial script
calls)

I have never used the procomm script stuff, but i would assume you could
execute other scripts as well as binaries ....  right ??

miek

hwfe@ur-tut (Harlan Feinstein) (03/20/88)

In article <2687@i.cc.purdue.edu> aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) writes:
]>In article <9427@sunybcs.UUCP>, uggrenon@sunybcs (Paul Grenon) writes:
]>>
]>>   I know there are the 10 user definable variables (s0-s9), but
]>>   what i'm trying to do is set up a generic download script, which
]>>   will prompt the user for the file names (more then 10! (but not
]>>   a fixed number either)) to be downloaded, and then do the
]>>   actual download unattended.
]>
]>You can write a script that calls a program and then executes another
]>script.   then write (in C or (god forbid) something else) a prog thatll
]>accept filenames and build a temp script.  (the one that the initial script
]>calls)
]>
]>I have never used the procomm script stuff, but i would assume you could
]>execute other scripts as well as binaries ....  right ??
]>
]>
]>miek

You're absolutely right.  I've done this before, and it works quite well.
Procomm does indeed have the ability to run other scripts.  If you were
using Telix, you'd have to do something wierd (like inserting the keystrokes
to call another script into the keyboard buffer from a DOS shell).

          Exiting the universe without a passport and other offenses
    punishable by death can be appealed on the second Tuesday of each week.

Harlan Feinstein                       hwfeccss@uorvm.bitnet
Student, University of Rochester

jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) (03/22/88)

In article <2687@i.cc.purdue.edu> aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) writes:
>In article <9427@sunybcs.UUCP>, uggrenon@sunybcs (Paul Grenon) writes:
>>
>>   what i'm trying to do is set up a generic download script, which
>>   will prompt the user for the file names (more then 10! (but not
>>   a fixed number either)) to be downloaded, and then do the
>>   actual download unattended.

For fun, you might want to try calling (619) 481-1753, and see a
"front end", implemented entirely with batch files, that includes
AUTO BAUD RATE detection( 1200 or 2400), user logging, and service
selection.  I started out needing to choose between PROCOMM/host, and
PC-ANYWHERE, and it kind of expanded from there...

If you are familiar with ASK (or QUERY or INPUT) which are little
progs that accept a single key and return it in the ERRORLEVEL
so a batch file can test the key and make a decision that way,
I just copied that for the COM1: line.

If you do call, I use a MR MOX power switch so wait 60 secs for
the system to boot.

I can give you more info if you're interested...

- Jay

Jay Bowden, EE/Consultant; see also Bowden Engineering
Currently contracted at Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest, akgua, decvax, ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!jcb

mike@lll-lcc.aRpA (Mike Hummell) (04/06/88)

In article <1574@loral.UUCP>, jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) writes:
> In article <2687@i.cc.purdue.edu> aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Miek Rowan) writes:
> >In article <9427@sunybcs.UUCP>, uggrenon@sunybcs (Paul Grenon) writes:
> >>
> >>   what i'm trying to do is set up a generic download script, which
> >>   will prompt the user for the file names (more then 10! (but not
> >>   a fixed number either)) to be downloaded, and then do the
> >>   actual download unattended.
> >
> For fun, you might want to try calling (619) 481-1753, and see a
> "front end", implemented entirely with batch files, that includes
> AUTO BAUD RATE detection( 1200 or 2400), user logging, and service
> selection.  I started out needing to choose between PROCOMM/host, and
> PC-ANYWHERE, and it kind of expanded from there...
>
> If you are familiar with ASK (or QUERY or INPUT) which are little
> progs that accept a single key and return it in the ERRORLEVEL
> so a batch file can test the key and make a decision that way,
> I just copied that for the COM1: line.
>
> If you do call, I use a MR MOX power switch so wait 60 secs for
> the system to boot.
>
> I can give you more info if you're interested...

Could you give an example of 1 or 2 of your batch files using ASK ?

Thanks.
ARPA:                   mike@lll-lcc.llnl.gov         (mike@lll-lcc.arpa)
UUCP:                   { ihnp4,sun,lll-crg,rutgers }!lll-lcc!mike
U.S. MAIL:              LLNL ; P.O. Box 808 , L-363 ; Livermore, CA. 94550

I need to post  "more new text than old text" .  (@#$%&*$&#@@)