[comp.sys.ibm.pc] uuclones

david@squid.UUCP (04/06/88)

From squid!david Tue Apr  5 17:42 CST 1988 remote from occrsh
From: ihnp4!occrsh!squid!david (David M Drexler)
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 88 17:42:10 CST
Subject: uuclones

/**
 **  Address in header may be incorrect. Please reply to:
 **  { ihnp4 | moss | cbosgd | uokmax }!occrsh!squid!david
 **
 **/

>In article <141900023@occrsh.ATT.COM> you write:
>>
>>Squid is an MSDOS machine running a uuclone ...
>                                     ^^^^^^^
>
>David,
>
>Where can I obtain uuclone for an MSDOS machine?  Any and all
>assistance appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Eric Deese (cbosgd!esd)
>AT&T Bell Labs (614)860-3634

Eric,

I am aware of several uuclones. They include:

 UULINK
 uuslave
 GNUUCP
 DCP
 UUPC

UULINK is a commercial product by Lauren Weinstein (lauren@vortex.UUCP),
costs $335, and does not include source. Recent reports in comp.sys.ibm.pc
indicate that the package is sold without any documentation, and that user
support is somewhere between minimal and non-existent.

Uuslave was distributed in net.sources about a year ago, and apparently was
"discovered" originally on a computer users group bbs in New Jersey. Since
that time, it has been modified extensively, and is now distributed as part
of a package called Ufgate, which is meant to be a Usenet/FidoNet gateway.
Sources are not provided, however, source to a slightly updated version of
uuslave is being distributed by the GNU people as GNUUCP (contact
gnu@hoptoad.uucp for more info on that). Info on the Ufgate package may be
had from Tim Pozar at "ihnp4!hoptoad!fidogate!tim". It will not be
necessary to run the entire Ufgate gateway package in order to use uuslave,
which is just part of it.

DCP was also distributed in net.sources, shortly after uuslave appeared on
the scene. DCP works "off the shelf" as it were, unlike uuslave, which had
to modified considerably. That is not to say that it is bug-free!

UUPC is derived from DCP, which has been radically modified to make it more
UNIX-like. It is being adapted by a group in Canada. There is a mailing
list, contact: uupc-request@van-bvc.uucp

---

DCP and UUPC live on a bbs that I help to run. The bbs is: SOURCEry System,
FidoNet 1:147/1, phone=[405] 728-2463. Supports 2400 bps, no registration
required for download, no fees. SOURCEry accepts Fido/Opus File Requests,
limit 4 files per requests. Call anytime except between 2:30am and 6:30am,
CST (file requests not honored during that period, either).

SOURCEry is a library of source code, hence the name. The most prevalent
languages are C, Pascal, and 80x86 assembumbler.

Do note that SOURCEry is *not* 'squid'. They are seperate machines, in
different locations. Squid will not generally forward files from SOURCEry
thru UUCP-net or the Internet. If squid doesn't already have something, it
is as much hassle for me to go get it, as it is for anybody else. There
have been some complaints about it seeming to be busy all the time. The
periods of minimal usage are early morning and mid-afternoon (I shouldn't
tell anybody that; now I won't be able to get in, either :-) If you are
allowed less than one hour when you dial in, try back later. Automatic
maintenance is performed on a preset schedule, and knowing when the next
one is to occur, it shuts itself down several minutes before, in
preparation. Just another of the many hassles of running a single-tasking
operating system.

At one time, there was a mailing list for DCP, which petered out after
about 2 months of intense activity. I suspect that most of the participants
were just playing with it, and all had access to a "real" unix box to run
mail from. I, on the other hand, have been relying on it exclusively for
the last year, and probably will continue to do so. There must be others
out there in this situation. I'd sure like to see a 'uuclones' mailing list
started, for discussions of the trials and tribulations of running one,
also to exchange updates and utils. I could sure use a news-processor for
my PC, and I'm sure there's one out there somewhere, but have no idea who
has written one. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to manage such a
mailing list.

David Drexler

  uucp: ihnp4!occrsh!squid!david   FidoNet: 1:19/1
  data: +1 405 728-2463 (2400bps)  voice:   +1 405 848-8868
  .