[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HELP: pointer to reviews

mintz@hpindda.HP.COM (Ken Mintz) (03/31/88)

Can anyone give me some "pointers" to magazine articles that compare:

   (1) paint programs (e.g., PC Paint, Paintbrush Plus and EGA Paint);
   (2) color printers (HP PaintJet v. competition);
   (3) mice (e.g., PC Mouse, MS Mouse);
   (4) spreadsheets (e.g., Lotus 1-2-3, Quatro; and a new one, was it Slash?).

I'd also be interested in product reviews of the those listed above.

BTW, does anyone know of a Reader's Guide type index for PC magazines?  Which
magazines have their own indexes, say in the Dec or Jan issue?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Ken Mintz

chang@premise.ZONE1.COM (John Chang) (04/02/88)

In article <4330042@hpindda.HP.COM>, mintz@hpindda.HP.COM (Ken Mintz) writes:
> BTW, does anyone know of a Reader's Guide type index for PC magazines?

The March 88 issue of Release 1.0 describes "PC Contents....a monthly
booklet of reproductions of the contents pages of leading [PC] journals."
Fred Holborn (714) 854-8513 is named as the contact.  I have no idea how
much the service is, though it's probably expensive.

John Chang		{ ...harvard!eddie,...cbosgd!mirror}!premise!chang
Premise, Inc.             chang@premise.zone1.com
3 Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
(617) 225-0422 		When you have the advantage, get the money out.

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (04/03/88)

[deleted stuff about index to pc pubs}

Recent issue of PC Mag (don't have issure handy so can't give page)
mentioned index marketed for nominal fee (don't know if it's share-
ware or not).

Michael Volow, M.D.
Dept of Psychiatry, Durham VA Medical Center, Durham, N.C. 27705
919 286 0411                           mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

wfp@dasys1.UUCP (William Phillips) (04/04/88)

In article <4330042@hpindda.HP.COM> mintz@hpindda.HP.COM (Ken Mintz) writes:

>BTW, does anyone know of a Reader's Guide type index for PC magazines?

See _PC Magazine_, April 12, 1988, page 65, col. 3, for info on PC-NDX,
a disk-based index of _PC Magazine_, with keywords and look-up software.

--
William Phillips                 {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!wfp

mintz@hpindda.HP.COM (Ken Mintz) (04/06/88)

> See _PC Magazine_, April 12, 1988, page 65, col. 3, for info on PC-NDX,
> a disk-based index of _PC Magazine_, with keywords and look-up software.

  Thanks for the pointer.  I'll summarize:

     PC-NDX was developed by Dick O'Kuehl (not PC Magazine)
     Order by calling 219-256-1045

     1986 index  $ 8.00
     1987 index  $ 9.00
     1988 index  $19.00, includes quarterly updates

     Index includes over 5000 keywords in each volume (!), with title,
     page number and brief description.  He also indexed technical columns
     and letters.

  By the way, I also found a free index, Microcomputer Index, in the
  library.  My library only has it through Oct 87.  It provides summaries
  of articles, indexed by product, company, type of product, etc.

  If anyone knows of specific reviews covering the areas mentioned in the
  basenote, I'm still interested.

Ken Mintz