[comp.sys.ibm.pc] NEC Multisync vs. NEC Multisync Plus

goosh@cisunx.UUCP (Walter G Perz) (03/09/88)

Hello Netland!

I'm planning to buy a NEC Multisync.  However there are two versions,
the "regular" Multisync and the Multisync Plus.  What's the difference,
aside from the Plus colting $300 more.

Please e-mail me, as I don't keep up with the net.

Thanks in advance.

goosh@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) (03/09/88)

In article <7597@cisunx.UUCP>, goosh@cisunx.UUCP (Walter G Perz) writes:
> I'm planning to buy a NEC Multisync.  However there are two versions,
> the "regular" Multisync and the Multisync Plus.  What's the difference,
> aside from the Plus colting $300 more.

As far as I can tell, the are 2 differences between the NEC II and the NEC
Plus:

1.)  The NEC II is a 12 inch screen, while the NEC Plus has a 14 inch screen.
2.)  The NEC II has a max resolution of 800x560 while the NEC Plus has a max
     resolution of 1024x768

The greater resolution allows you to take advantage of the aftermarket VGA
cards that have extended modes with extended colors.  For example one card I
know of (but have NO experience with) allows 256 colors with 800x560
resolution, 16 colors in an 800x600 mode, and 16 colors (which is the USUAL
for a VGA) in a 1024x768 mode.  This is the Designer VGA by Orchid
Technologies.

To take advantage of the extra modes, you must have the Plus instead of the II.

Any other comments from folks that actually own these??

--
Phil Ritzenthaler			|USnail: University Computer Services
Computer Graphics Research Consultant   |        241 Math-Science Bldg.

charlie@condor.UUCP (Charlie D. Havener) (03/10/88)

I own a NEC multisync II. I have had it about 6 weeks. It cost $630.
It is much like the old original NEC Multisync but it has front panel
controls and supposedly can handle VGA. It came with a VGA cable plug
adaptor to stick on the end of the regular cable. My Genoa Super HIres
graphics card does not have a VGA plug coming out of it so I have not
tried it. I think the colors are not as good as the old NEC Multisync.
In a side by side comparison the old one is better color wise.

Byte ( 2 issues ago ) did a big review of EGA/VGA monitors but they
did not test the NEC Multisync II which is most unfortunate. They
tested the Plus which costs a lot more. It is not at all clear to
me what you get for the extra money. Byte had a chance to clarify this
but they didn't.

Charlie Havener - GenRad Inc. ...genrad!condor!charlie

chasm@killer.UUCP (Charles Marslett) (03/11/88)

In article <8056@condor.UUCP>, charlie@condor.UUCP (Charlie D. Havener) writes:
> I own a NEC multisync II. I have had it about 6 weeks. It cost $630.
> ... Byte
> did not test the NEC Multisync II which is most unfortunate. They
> tested the Plus which costs a lot more. It is not at all clear to
> me what you get for the extra money.

The Multisync II is the successor to the old Multisync and has pretty
much the same specs, except that it pays attention to the sync lines
polarity.  So it maintains the position and shape of a VGA screen much
better (I think it does a better job on EGA screens, too, but that is
getting pretty picky!).  The Multisync Plus is a whole different animal --
it does NOT handle low frequency images (200-line CGA for example) so it
cannot be used with boards that do no double scan the CGA compatible modes
and it will properly display screens up to about 900x600 non-interlaces and
with a bit of fiddling the 8514A 1024x768 can be made to work.

Bottom line: for most people, most of the time the II is a better monitor
even at the same price (and they are not nearly the same price!) -- but if
you need higher resolutions than the 800x600 or 704x519 most current "good"
boards provide, you will have to pay more and lose something else. Sorry.

waynec@hpsrli.HP.COM (Wayne Cannon) (03/12/88)

Although several reviewers have tested the Multisync Plus at 1024x768,
it is actually spec'd at somewhat less than that, 960x720.  HOwever,
considering the cost difference between it and anything spec'd at
1024x768 or 1280x1024, I decided on the Plus.   Running it at 1024x768
on my HP9000 showed only minor smearing, and that was predominately due
to a misconvergence, I believe.  It did lose a couple of lines at the
top on the HP9000, and I don't know why.  However, my experience would
indicate that it would be easily adjustable, and could also be a
function of the driver board.

jpederse@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Pedersen) (03/24/88)

One thing that I just found out today in the Multisync II and Multisync Plus
battle is that the Multisync Plus will not emulate all the CGA modes. We have
some of both in house and I always wondered why the opening "advertisement"
screen on MS Word and other MS packages will not display correctly on the
Multisync Plus monitors but work fine with the IIs.

--
John.Pedersen@Wichita.NCR.COM
NCR Engineering & Manufacturing

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) (04/07/88)

From article <310@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM>, by jpederse@encad.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Pedersen):
> One thing that I just found out today in the Multisync II and Multisync Plus
> battle is that the Multisync Plus will not emulate all the CGA modes. We have
> some of both in house and I always wondered why the opening "advertisement"
> screen on MS Word and other MS packages will not display correctly on the
> Multisync Plus monitors but work fine with the IIs.

From discussing this with NEC and VGA board manufacturers, the word I have
gotten is that if you want the Plus, make sure that your board can DOUBLE SCAN
in the CGA mode.

I don't know if this is the definitive answer, but maybe it helps . . .