[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 5.25 and 3.5 inch diskettes

se6@cs.vu.nl (Houweling E) (04/01/88)

DISK PROBLEM
 ============
 Does anyone know if it is possible to diskcopy a 5.25 inch diskette
 onto a 3.5 inch floppy ? MS-DOS diskcopy won't do it, but in my opinion
 it should be possible to copy a disk to a HIGHER density diskette like this:
  >> READ sector #0, WRITE sector #0, READ sector #1, WRITE sector #1,...etc..

 This should be possible on a machine which has both kinds of drives built-in,
 shouldn't it ? If this is NOT possible, why not ?
 If it IS possible, is there commercially available software which I could use ?

 | Rene' Baart                              |
 | School of Business Administration  +-------------------+
 | Free University of Amsterdam       | EMAIL:            |
 | Amsterdam, The Netherlands         | bagron@cs.vu.nl   |
 +------------------------------------| groedr@econ.vu.nl |--+
      | Practical men, who believe    +-------------------+  |
      | themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual  |
      | influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct   |
      | economist.    -- J.M. Keynes                         |

rjchen@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Raymond Juimong Chen) (04/02/88)

From article <976@tjalk.cs.vu.nl>, by se6@cs.vu.nl (Houweling E):
> [suggests that there be a way to perform a DISKCOPY between different
>  media, at least from a lower density to a higher density.]

I doubt that this is possible.  Various information is kept in the
boot record, like sector size, and possibly even cluster size, and the
size of the FAT.  This information varies depending on the density
of the disk you are using.  Thus, a sector-by-sector copy is

[1] Impossible, since the sector sizes don't agree.

[2]  Possible but of dubious value, since the boot record no longer
describes the medium.  At best, you'll have a "good" disk with the
desired information, but the "extra" storage capacity will be
inaccessible.  At worst, DOS will get confused and refuse to do
anything useful with the disk.  (For example, it'll expect to see
the FAT starting at sector XX [since it thinks that it is a standard
3.5" disk] but the FAT is really stored at sector YY on 5.25" disks,
so DOS is looking in the wrong place and goes out to lunch.)

Disclaimer:  This is not gospel; just an educated guess.
--
Raymond Chen	UUCP: ...allegra!princeton!{phoenix|pucc}!rjchen
		BITNET: rjchen@phoenix.UUCP, rjchen@pucc

dani@ritcsh.UUCP (Dani Kadoch) (04/08/88)

In article <976@tjalk.cs.vu.nl> se6@cs.vu.nl (Houweling E) writes:
> Does anyone know if it is possible to diskcopy a 5.25 inch diskette
> onto a 3.5 inch floppy ? MS-DOS diskcopy won't do it, but in my opinion
> it should be possible to copy a disk to a HIGHER density diskette like this:
>  >> READ sector #0, WRITE sector #0, READ sector #1, WRITE sector #1,...etc..
> This should be possible on a machine which has both kinds of drives built-in,
> shouldn't it ? If this is NOT possible, why not ?

No, it is not possible for a program to copy disks in that way.  The
way DOS works is that for each different type of disk it accepts, it
has a different scheme of writing to it.  The size of the File
Allocation Table (FAT) varies in different formats, for example.  The
FAT is simply a list of the clusters in use, and as you may realize, a
720K 3.5" disk has more clusters than a 360K 5.25" disk, hence a
different size for the FAT.  Another thing that changes size is the
root directory, which simply keeps the names, location and other
information about each file in \.  Again, the larger the capacity of
the disk, the bigger the root directory (generally.)

If you want to copy between formats, the easiest way (in my opinon) is
to use 'XCOPY A:\ B: /S' which will copy the root and all other
directories from A: to B:.  It will also automatically create all
subdirectories needed in B:.  However, this is not a completely
infallible method, since hidden files and subdirectories will NOT be
copied.  I hope this helps, anyway.

--
> Dani Kadoch @ Computer Science House @ Rochester Institute of Technology    <
> UUCP: {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!ritcsh!dani   BITNET: dnk8842@ritvax <