[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WD1002-WA2 controllers, 10Mhz or 12Mhz ??

boon@geac.UUCP (Boon-Ping Chew) (04/06/88)

    Hi, fellow netlanders,

       Does anyone know if there is any difference between the
 WD1002-WA2 Floopy disk/hard disk controller rated at 10Mhz and the same
controller rated at 12Mhz. I am trying to put together a 12Mhz AT clone
Do I the need to spend the extra $50 for the 12 Mhz controller ?.
I will be using the controller with a CDC Wren-II 86 meg drive and would
like to go to as small an interleave factor as I can. What interleave
factor can the controllers (10Mhz and 12Mhz model) accomodate ?
Is there any other different between the two controller besides the
speed rating? If I upgrade later to a 386 motherboard which controller
would be better or is there any difference ?? Does ISC, microport and
XENIX-386 support the WD1002-WA2 (12Mhz) controller ?
       Does anyone has any experience with Roland printers ?? I would
like to know how you would rated them against the more popular brands
like Espon, NEC etc.
       Please email all response. If there is sufficient response,
I will summarize to the net.

       Many thanks to all.

       Boon.

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (04/08/88)

IN article <2539@geac.UUCP>, boon@geac.UUCP (Boon-Ping Chew) wrote:
>  [ WD1002-WA2 Floppy disk/hard disk controller ... ]
> I will be using the controller with a CDC Wren-II 86 meg drive and would
> like to go to as small an interleave factor as I can. What interleave
> factor can the controllers (10Mhz and 12Mhz model) accomodate ?

I assume you mean 1003, not 1002.  But in any case you want the 1006, not the
100[23].  The 1006 will do 1:1 interleave and track buffering.  It's a 16 bit
card.  Much faster than the 100[23] under any OS.  There is a WA2 version now
(mine is the no-floppy-support version), and there is an RLL version.  I don't
know how fast it is rated on the peripheral bus, but there's no need to run
the peripheral bus especially fast to get 1:1 interleave with the 1006.  I
paid less than $200 for mine; /WA2 versions will probably run a little more.

> [...] If I upgrade later to a 386 motherboard which controller
> would be better or is there any difference ?? Does ISC, microport and
> XENIX-386 support the WD1002-WA2 (12Mhz) controller ?

The WD1006 should work with any unix or DOS.  Be sure to mark the bad spots
right though, as uPort unix hangs on error (I can't tell if it's the card or
the unix, but probably uPort).  Not a problem if you have the manufacturer's
defect list.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!uastro!bigtex!james    "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746