[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Japan

nelson_p@apollo.uucp (04/06/88)

>Once upon a time there was a land that was free of nasty creatures like
>lawyers and MBA's. Everyone was free to do what they pleased, so they did.
  [ ... ]
>Then there had to be someone to argue about the laws when conflicts arose, so
>lawyers came into being.
>Whats the point? Simply that lawyers are a result of our human greed and
>mistrust, they are not the cause. I have been an engineer (making computer
  [ ... ]
>If you want to do away with lawyers, go find a few honest people that keep
>their promises. Then put them in a business where they lose money by telling

 Oh, come on!  Nobody, as far as I know, has suggested that we could
 do without any lawyers.  The question is why we seem to need so many
 of them.  Japan, the western European countries, and others seem to
 be able to resolve their civil disputes with a lot smaller percentage
 of lawyers.  It has been estimated that within a few years the U.S.
 will have one million lawyers!  This is ridiculous.

 It also represents a trend in this country toward the so-called
 'service' economy.  Fewer and fewer of us actually make our living
 by MAKING anything.  When there's lots of money to be made in invest-
 ments, or in buying somebody else's company, or in selling somebody
 else's (say, Japanese) products or stealing somebody else's idea and
 hiring some lawyers to cover your ass or hiring some lawyers to beat
 down the competition, or making laws to restrict foreign competition
 then why bother to come up with a new product or process on our own?

                                           --Peter Nelson

las@apr.UUCP (Larry Shurr) (04/09/88)

In article <3b4d0eaf.44e6@apollo.uucp> nelson_p@apollo.uucp writes:
>Somebody wrote:
>>Once upon a time there was a land that was free of nasty creatures like

<Oft-told morality story about how the U.S. has a dearth of lawyers and
they are the cause of all of our problems>

> Oh, come on!  Nobody, as far as I know, has suggested that we could
> do without any lawyers.  The question is why we seem to need so many
> of them...

> It also represents a trend in this country toward the so-called
> 'service' economy.  Fewer and fewer of us actually make our living
> by MAKING anything.  When there's lots of money to be made in invest-
> ments, or in buying somebody else's company, or in selling somebody
> else's (say, Japanese) products or stealing somebody else's idea and
> hiring some lawyers to cover your ass or hiring some lawyers to beat
> down the competition, or making laws to restrict foreign competition
> then why bother to come up with a new product or process on our own?

But! But!  If I can't blame the problems on some intangible untouchable I
might have to admit to some shared responsibility for the problems.  No.
Don't you see.  It's the lawyers fault.  If there were no lawyers there
would be no legal problems.  The lawyers create all those problems so that
we'll have to pay them to fix them.  Once you realize this, our legal prob-
lems will be over and then we can go on to get rid of all the garbagemen
who've been cluttering up our homes with all that garbage so that we have
to pay them to haul it away.  It really is simple, you see.
--
"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."
- Oscar Wilde, James Whistler or George Bernard Shaw depending on who you ask