[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Windows 2.0.3 bug

laba-5ac@web7b.berkeley.edu (04/09/88)

   My friend and I were playing around with Windows 2.0.3 by running
a whole bunch of programs in different windows.  One of the programs
was a little C program that just infinite looped around printing a
message.  The trouble was when we tried to stop Windows.  When we tried
to exit, Windows said that the program was still active and that we
couldn't exit.  OK - then we tried to close it, but we couldn't, because
it was still active.  We tried issuing Ctrl-Breaks and Ctrl-C's to the
program, but it didn't work.  Eventually, we just rebooted out of Windows.
Does anyone know any way to stop a program in an infinite loop in Windows?
This seems like a feature that should be added more than a bug, but it
is very irritating...

Erik Talvola          laba-5ac@widow.berkeley.edu

"I don't impress easy." -- Jesse "The Body" Ventura

bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) (04/10/88)

In article <8494@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> laba-5ac@widow.berkeley.edu () writes:

>...  a little C program that just infinite looped around printing a
>message.  The trouble was when we tried to stop Windows.  When we tried
>to exit, Windows said that the program was still active and that we
>couldn't exit.  OK - then we tried to close it, but we couldn't, because
>it was still active.  We tried issuing Ctrl-Breaks and Ctrl-C's to the
>program, but it didn't work.  Eventually, we just rebooted out of Windows.

This is a problem inherent to Windows, and it is the programmer's
responsibility to avoid these situations.  The program which is currently
executing processes all keystrokes and mouse commands, ignoring those which
are not its own.  There are supposed to be ways for the programmer to work
around this.  Interestingly enough, the Presentation Manager under OS/2 will
have the same problem -- the foreground application can completely lock out
the keyboard and mouse (see the March 1988 issue of Microsoft Systems Journal).

Bradley Dyck Kliewer                Hacking...
bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu       It's not just an adventure
                                    It's my job!
Author of EGA/VGA A Programmer's Reference Guide