[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EGA registers

dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) (03/31/88)

Could someone send me a rundown on what the EGA card hardware registers are?

Thanks,

-dalegass@dalcsug

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) (04/02/88)

In article <418@dalcsug.UUCP> dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:
>Could someone send me a rundown on what the EGA card hardware registers are?
 There are several dozen registers, many of which piggy-back, that is that
 the value you write to one PIO address determines which register you are
 talking to when you write to another. The only complete writeup I have seen
 is the IBM technical reference manual, which is quite obscure. The best
 writeups have been in journals like PC magazine. Try looking through the
 readers guide to periodical literature at your library under IBM or EGA
 for references to exact issues.

james@sunne.Sun.COM (04/05/88)

The IBM Technical Reference for the EGA only costs about $9.  It has all the
gory details, without much explanatory text.  I just found a
trade paperback called "Programming the EGA and VGA" or something close.
It described all you ever wanted to know about the beasts.
I forget the accurate title, but I'll bet if you call
Computer Literacy Bookshop in Sunnyvale, CA, they will
recognize it- they had a stack there.

----james

James Triplett       Sun Microsystems, Lexington, Mass
		jtriplett@sun.com   ...sun!sunne!james

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (04/07/88)

In article <14600001@sunne.nesales>, james@sunne.Sun.COM writes:
> The IBM Technical Reference for the EGA only costs about $9.  It has all the
> gory details, without much explanatory text.  [...]

The IBM manual isn't even worth the $9 (I thought it cost more than that).
Wretched piece of work.  PC Tech Journal has had fairly good articles on the
EGA too.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-sally!uastro!bigtex!james    "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (04/08/88)

I believe you are referring to my book, EGA/VGA A Programmer's Reference
Guide (McGraw-Hill).  I've been told the initial printing is sold out but
it is going to a second printing any minute now.

Bradley Dyck Kliewer
bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

I hope this message came through okay, I don't work wonders on large  systems.

schmitz@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (04/08/88)

	The best reference that I have seen is "Programmer's Guide to
IBM PC and PS/2 Video Systems" from Microsoft press.  Examples are
given to show how one actually uses the several EGA read and
write modes.  I think the author is R. Wilton, but I don't have the
book here to verify.  IBM's document is so terse that it's practically
useless unless you are an expert already.

+=============================================================================+
|	Michael Schmitz University of Illinois	 Dept. of CS (217) 333-6680   |
|									      |
|       arpa		schmitz@b.cs.uiuc.edu                    	      |
|       csnet		schmitz@uiuc.csnet				      |
|       usenet		ihnp4!uiucdcs!schmitz				      |
+=============================================================================+

schmitz@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (04/10/88)

> /* Written 12:00 am  Apr  8, 1988 by bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu in uiucdcsb:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>

> I believe you are referring to my book, EGA/VGA A Programmer's Reference
> Guide (McGraw-Hill).  I've been told the initial printing is sold out but
> it is going to a second printing any minute now.
>
> Bradley Dyck Kliewer
> bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
>
> I hope this message came through okay, I don't work wonders on large  systems.
> /* End of text from uiucdcsb:comp.sys.ibm.pc */

No, there really is a book by Richard Wilton from Microsoft Press on
Hercules/EGA/VGA!
						--Michael