[comp.sys.ibm.pc] TSR to Abort Infinite Loops

maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) (04/11/88)

I'm dreaming of a TSR which would automatically abort some kinds of infinte
loops.  Like a screen blanker, it would watch to see if and when characters
were written to the screen.  If no character was written to the screen for
X minutes, then it would send character Y (e.g., ^C) to the executing
program.  This would allow batch jobs to continue running and has other
useful applications.  Does anybody know if a utility like this exists?

--
CSNet   : maner@research1.bgsu.edu               | CS Dept    419/372-2337
UUCP    : {cbatt,cbosgd}!osu-cis!bgsuvax!maner   | BGSU

claus@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Claus Giloi) (04/12/88)

In article <1874@bgsuvax.UUCP> maner@bgsuvax.UUCP (Walter Maner) writes:
>I'm dreaming of a TSR which would automatically abort some kinds of infinte
>loops.... [rest deleted]

A really good utility called CTRLALT will do this. Its a TSR that offers
more than half a dozen features, the most useful of which I find the
"brute force exit" Ctl-Alt-F9 , which can be used to exit games which want
you to reboot, etc. Check it out, it only takes up ~6K and is available on
simtel, I beleive.

[[[  Claus Giloi  ]]]