[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need DOS vi

greg@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Greg Hansen) (04/05/88)

(Sorry if this is repetitious, but I was off the net for a while ....)

Does anyone know where there is a vi-like editor for DOS? I am used to vi,
and would like to keep it up on my PC. It can either be public domain or
for sale, since it is for work use. A network version would be nice.
All help appreciated.

Greg Hansen
NET:     ...!decwrl!pyramid!ctnews!mitisft!greg
USMail:  2700 N. First Street, P.O. Box 6685
         San Jose, California 95150-6685
Phone:   (408)-435-3227

geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) (04/06/88)

Mortice Kern Systems, Inc. (35 King St North, Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA,
N2J 2W9  (519- 884-2251)  ...!uunet!watmath!mks!inquiry) seems to have a vi
for the PC available @$75 (includes tutorial/reference); for $139 it seems they
offer something called the MKS Toolkit which features 110 UNIX based Tools &
vi, awk & the Korn Shell.
__
  Geoff Goodfellow    fernwood!Geoff@sri-unix.arpa   ..!sri-unix!fernwood!Geoff

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (04/07/88)

In article <4.UUL1.3#948@fernwood.mpk.ca.us> geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:
== Mortice Kern Systems, Inc. (35 King St North, Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA,
== N2J 2W9  (519- 884-2251)  ...!uunet!watmath!mks!inquiry) seems to have a vi
== for the PC available @$75 (includes tutorial/reference); for $139 it seems they
== offer something called the MKS Toolkit which features 110 UNIX based Tools &
== vi, awk & the Korn Shell.
== __
==   Geoff Goodfellow    fernwood!Geoff@sri-unix.arpa   ..!sri-unix!fernwood!Geoff

I saw a VI for the PC on a local BBS the other night.  Does anyone know
anything about it?

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

wnp@chinet.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (04/08/88)

In article <537@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:

>I saw a VI for the PC on a local BBS the other night.  Does anyone know
>anything about it?

This is probably "Z", a program distributed with older versions of the
Aztec C Compiler by Manx Software.

It does not offer any ex commands other than :w and :q, and its search
command does not implement full REs.

I find it quite irritating to work with, because of the above limitations.

The program has a banner with a copyright notice; nonetheless the program
shows up on quite a few BBS whose sysops don't tolerate piracy, so
although I have not expressly heard this, it is possible that Manx
have decided to allow free distribution of this early and rudimentary version
of their editor.

I highly recommend the MKS Toolkit, which is available from discount mailorder
places for as little as $109.

One discounter has recently started charging $145, claiming that MKS have raised
their retail price on it to $169 -- this is nonsense. As of this date, 4/8/88,
MKS is still selling the Toolkit for $139 US, and anybody charging more than
that is trying to b.s. their customers.

Wolf Paul
wnp@chinet
wnp@killer
wnp@dcs

bruce@hpihoah.HP.COM (Bruce LaVigne) (04/09/88)

I use Custom Software Systems PC/VI.  It is a full implementation (actually a
superset; just little enhancements like being able to say :wn when editting a
bunch of files, instead of :w then n).  They sell for $149. each (I know, it's
more than others mentioned here, but it's *good stuff*).  Their address is:
    Custom Software Systems
    P.O. Box 678
    Natick, MA 01760
    617-653-2555
Disclaimer:  The only affiliation I have with them is as a happy customer.

-bruce
          Bruce LaVigne
          UUCP:    {ucbvax,hplabs}!hpda!bruce
                   bruce%hpda@hplabs.hp.com
          USnail:  c/o Hewlett-Packard m/s 42L8
                   19447 Pruneridge Avenue
                   Cupertino, CA  95014
          Phone:   (408)447-6279 work

psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (04/09/88)

< If you lined all the news readers up end-to-end, they'd be easier to shoot. >

In article <4731@chinet.UUCP>, wnp@chinet.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
> In article <537@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
> >
> >I saw a VI for the PC on a local BBS the other night.  Does anyone know
> >anything about it?
> This is probably "Z", a program distributed with older versions of the
> Aztec C Compiler by Manx Software.
> The program has a banner with a copyright notice; nonetheless the program
> shows up on quite a few BBS whose sysops don't tolerate piracy, so
> although I have not expressly heard this, it is possible that Manx
> have decided to allow free distribution of this early and rudimentary version
> of their editor.

Bad news; I've seen a copy of "Z" with the copyright notice removed.
Think of a stolen car with its serial number filed down; that's what's
been done here.  "Copyrighted software?  Gee, *I* don't see any
copyright notice (any more, heh, heh, heh)."  I recognized the same
limitations Wolf mentioned in his article.  (It's also the only version
of vi I've ever seen with a greeting screen.)

I have no reason to believe that Manx has released any of their tools
into the public domain.  (I'd call -- heck, I'd drive over to their
offices -- but it's a little late in the evening.)  I have no reason to
believe that *any* public domain version of vi exists.  I have reason
to believe that no such animal is available.  In addition, CSS has
removed their PC/VI product from the market, along with PC/TOOLS (no
relation to the excellent PC Tools from Central Point) and PC/SPELL.

So far as I know, there is only *one* source for vi under MS-DOS:

> I highly recommend the MKS Toolkit, which is available from discount mailorder
> places for as little as $109.

What he said.  The MKS Toolkit contains vi, awk, ksh, and a hundred
other utilities similar to tools from the UNIX(R) operating system.
Vi and awk are available separately, but the Toolkit is an excellent
value.  In addition, these guys are not only accessible via UNIX mail,
but they read netnews!  Good stuff.

>	Wolf Paul, wnp@chinet, wnp@killer, wnp@dcs

-Paul S. R. Chisholm, {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,rutgers}!mtune!lznv!psc
AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, Internet psc@lznv.att.com
I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.
UNIX(R) is a registered trademark of AT&T.

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (04/11/88)

In article <9330004@hpihoah.HP.COM>, bruce@hpihoah.HP.COM (Bruce LaVigne) writes:
> I use Custom Software Systems PC/VI.  It is a full implementation (actually a
> superset; just little enhancements like being able to say :wn when editting a
> bunch of files, instead of :w then n).  ... (Some text removed for brevity.)
>     Custom Software Systems
>     P.O. Box 678
>     Natick, MA 01760
>     617-653-2555
> Disclaimer:  The only affiliation I have with them is as a happy customer.
>
> -bruce
>           Bruce LaVigne
>           UUCP:    {ucbvax,hplabs}!hpda!bruce
>                    bruce%hpda@hplabs.hp.com
>           USnail:  c/o Hewlett-Packard m/s 42L8
>                    19447 Pruneridge Avenue
>                    Cupertino, CA  95014
>           Phone:   (408)447-6279 work

Did you know that in a recent issue of Computer Systems News there was an
article stating that AT&T and Custom Software Systems had settled their suit
out of court?  WHAT SUIT?

The suit AT&T brought against CSS for UNIX source code violations in CSS'
iimplementation of DOS vi.  The article stated terms of the settlement were
that CSS would no longer produce vi or any UNIX-related software.  Since this
was what CSS did for a living, it may have effectively put them out of business.

Cheers!

-- Ed.

Net  :  {uunet,ihnp4,noao,yale}!hsi!tankus
Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
Bell :  (203) 562-2101

dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) (04/13/88)

It's too bad there isn't a public domain or shareware version of vi available.
The Q editor is quite configurable; too bad it's not configurable enough to
forge into a VI clone.  I wonder if Q's author would consider doing this;
the basic editor functions would be the same, just the keystrokes and
modes would be different.

Granted, all the fancy : commands would be a lot of work, but personally,
I see the major advantage of VI as being the ability to work very quickly
without ever having to move your hands off the home position...  The only
: command I really use is search and replace.

Anyhow, if this could be done with the Q editor, I'm sure many people would
be quite happy; the Q editor is the fastest I've seen, and handles as big
a file as your machine can swallow..

-dalegass@dalcsug.uucp