[comp.sys.ibm.pc] NCR color monitor?

mascagni@ncifcrf.gov (Michael Mascagni) (04/08/88)

I am considering buying an AT clone made by NCR, the PC-8.  Two questions
to you clonaphiles:

1. This clone comes with a 640x400 color monitor, Class 3295 Model 0210.  The
   adapter card runs in GSS, an NCR graphics standard, and a CGA mode using
   a double scan.  Do you know if one can run EGA or AT&T type graphics with
   this monitor, and if so, what adapter card requirements/software
   requirements are there?
2. Is the PC-8 a good AT clone in the sense of compatibility?  Any problems
   with certain software, addin boards?

                          Thanks, Michael Mascagni, NIH
                          e-mail:mascagni@ncifcrf.gov or
                                 na.mascagni@score.stanford.edu

johnson@c10sd1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. T. Johnson) (04/16/88)

In article <389@ncifcrf.ncifcrf.gov> mascagni@fcs280s.UUCP (Michael Mascagni) writes:
>I am considering buying an AT clone made by NCR, the PC-8.  Two questions
>to you clonaphiles:
>
>1. This clone comes with a 640x400 color monitor, Class 3295 Model 0210.  The
>   adapter card runs in GSS, an NCR graphics standard, and a CGA mode using
>   a double scan.  Do you know if one can run EGA or AT&T type graphics with
>   this monitor, and if so, what adapter card requirements/software
>   requirements are there?
>2. Is the PC-8 a good AT clone in the sense of compatibility?  Any problems
>   with certain software, addin boards?

First off, I must state that my division of NCR has no direct connection to the NCR division that makes the NCR PCs, so I have nothing to gain or loss by
these comments.

In general, the PC-8 (and we have used several, as well as other brands like
this (yuck) AT&T 6300 that i'm now using) is very compatible with the IBM.
(with the exception of BASIC/ROM differences which are common to all clones
and is corrected by running gwbasic instead of IBMs).  We have used several
(other vendor) products that are supposidly very pickky, including
multi-link, with no problems.

HOWEVER, the "high resolution" graphics IS NOT compatible with EGA programs,
In my opinion you would be better off to get an EGA+ or other simular
graphics card.

Comming soon is the new NCR PC-810, a cheaper, more reliable, and EGA
compatible version.

--
Wayne Johnson                 (voice) 612-638-7665
NCR Comten, Inc.           (internet) johnson@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM or