[comp.sys.ibm.pc] FLUSHOT+ Bug

laba-5ac@web7f.berkeley.edu (04/18/88)

  I have found a bug in FLUSHOT+ which may be a fairly serious limitation
with the software.  After installing it and setting the P=c:command.com
to stop writing to my command.com files, I decided to try it out.  I did
an erase command.com from DOS and it worked.  I was fairly impressed (this
is the first of the FLUSHOT programs I have tried to run).  Then, I loaded
XTree Professional and deleted the file.  No complaint from FLUSHOT.  From
XTree, you can delete any file on your hard drive, even if it is protected
by FLUSHOT, and FLUSHOT won't even tell you about it.  It seems like a virus
could be then be written that could wipe out all the files on your hard
drive by erasing them in the same way that Xtree does.  I don't know how to
contact the author of FLUSHOT directly without calling his BBS, so I'm
posting this message in the hope that he will eventually receive it.

Erik Talvola          laba-5ac@widow.berkeley.edu

"I don't impress easy." -- Jesse "The Body" Ventura

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Keith Petersen) (04/18/88)

Erik, you can send mail to the author of FLUSHOT+, Ross Greenberg, via
netmail.  His address is:

Arpa: ditka!ramnet!flushot@BELLCORE.ARPA
Uucp: bellcore!ditka!ramnet!flushot

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie: W8SDZ

tneff@atpal.UUCP (Tom Neff) (04/19/88)

In article <8855@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> laba-5ac@widow.berkeley.edu () writes:

>  I have found a bug in FLUSHOT+ which may be a fairly serious limitation
>with the software...
> ... From
>XTree, you can delete any file on your hard drive, even if it is protected
>by FLUSHOT, and FLUSHOT won't even tell you about it.

Yup, this is a limitation on FLUSHOT.  *NOT* a bug.  (It would be a bug
if FLUSHOT claimed to handle XTree and other Norton-type utilities, which
it doesn't.)

I'm sure the FLUSHOT author is acutely aware that if you don't use the
DOS file-handling services to manipulate COMMAND.COM and other protected
files, he doesn't catch you.  After all, he wrote the code.  So yes, a
trojan/virus could be written that circumvents FLUSHOT.  That's one reason
you should back up your system regularly and not run unexamined software
you get from others, rather than relying on "vaccines" and other such
nostrums.

--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...uunet!pwcmrd!skipnyc!atpal!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536		MCI: TNEFF

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (04/19/88)

In article <129@atpal.UUCP> tneff@atpal.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
> In article <8855@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> laba-5ac@widow.berkeley.edu () writes:
> >  I have found a bug in FLUSHOT+ which may be a fairly serious limitation
> >with the software...  ... From
> >XTree, you can delete any file on your hard drive, even if it is protected
> >by FLUSHOT, and FLUSHOT won't even tell you about it.
>
> Yup, this is a limitation on FLUSHOT.  *NOT* a bug.  (It would be a bug
> if FLUSHOT claimed to handle XTree and other Norton-type utilities, which
> it doesn't.)

I don't know if I would classify the popular BRIEF editor as being a
"Norton-type" utility, but it can read files that FLUSHOT+ is trying
to read-protect, and it can write files that FLUSHOT+ is trying to
write-protect, all without FLUSHOT+ ever saying a word.

Even though I'm a regi$tered user of FLUSHOT, it looks like it's not
good for much more than keeping an occasional eye on my CMOS and for
checksumming system files.  Any virus worthy of its slimy name would
certainly use whatever file handling mechanism BRIEF does and simply
leave FLUSHOT+ guarding an infected or empty disk.

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481