[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Novell's got weird directories, and broken ethernet cards!!

romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) (04/20/88)

In article <4769@genrad.UUCP>, cig@genrad.UUCP (Charles I. Ganimian Jr.) writes:
> In article <286@intek01.UUCP> mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
> >We've been experiencing a weird Novell Netware bug.  It sometimes just
> >ignores the directory structure completely.  For example, when I remake
> >a certain program in one of my directories, the program somehow winds
> >up in another directory *on another disk*!
> I have been experiencing the same problem, if the file already exists
> in the search path it is over written.

I noticed much the same behavior, in similarly strange circumstances...
I was trying to use MKS's vi (great product!) on a file which happened to
have the same name as one along my search path, and I kept on getting the one
on the path. Frustrating as all hell...
Never figured out whether that was MKS's fault or Novell's, but I figured
Novell's (at the time we were having a number of other Novell problems).

On the subject of Novell: Has anyone out there had lots of trouble with
NE-1000 Ethernet cards? I understand Novell lost money last quarter over bugs
in the cards and the costs they incurred as a result.  Does anyone know of a
better card we can use with our Novell network?

-Antonio Romero     romero@mind.Princeton.EDU