[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WARNING for MASM 5.1 runme install program

gay@necbsd.NEC.COM (John Gay) (04/16/88)

I would like to warn anyone that has or is about to
receive the update of Microsoft MASM 5.1.  Do not
use the install program included on the main disk.
I ran this program to install MASM 5.1 and accessories
on my hard disk drive D:.  Well today (1 day later)
I discovered a new hidden directory on drive C: (yes C:)
with the name DELETED.  This directory contained the files
DELETED.000 and INDEX.  The directory was also three levels
underneath some other directories.  The file DELETED.000 contained
another file that I had been working on previously (but not for
a couple of days).  My file was apparantly not hurt, just a little
scary for me.  The file INDEX seemed to be the directory
structure that MASM was installed with.  I found out about this quite
accidently by running a disk optimizer that reported there was 1 hidden
directory.
A friend that has also tried to install MASM 5.1 with the setup program
has come across a similar experience, except that the program installed
some of MASM's files in the wrong places and corrupted some of his
executables.  Those corrupted include (but probably are not limited to)
lib.exe and make.exe.
Both computers are NEC APC IV's (286 clone at 10Mhz) if this makes any
difference.

  What ever happened to the simple installation program copy a:*.* c: ???

Disclaimer: These views, or any other crazy ideas (unless money can be
            made off of them), certainly are not the views of my employer.

		John M. Gay (with no fancy stuff at the end)

If anyone else has had similar experiences then I would like to here
about them.

leefi@microsoft.UUCP (Lee Fisher) (04/18/88)

In article <25@necbsd.NEC.COM>, gay@necbsd.NEC.COM (John Gay) writes:

> I would like to warn anyone that has or is about to receive the
> update of Microsoft MASM 5.1. Do not use the install program
> included on the main disk. I ran this program to install MASM 5.1
> and accessories on my hard disk drive D:. Well today (1 day later) I
> discovered a new hidden directory on drive C: (yes C:) with the name
> DELETED. This directory contained the files DELETED.000 and INDEX.
> The directory was also three levels underneath some other
> directories. The file DELETED.000 contained another file that I had
> been working on previously (but not for a couple of days). My file
> was apparantly not hurt, just a little scary for me. The file INDEX
> seemed to be the directory structure that MASM was installed with. I
> found out about this quite accidently by running a disk optimizer
> that reported there was 1 hidden directory.
>
> A friend that has also tried to install MASM 5.1 with the setup
> program has come across a similar experience, except that the program
> installed some of MASM's files in the wrong places and corrupted some
> of his executables. Those corrupted include (but probably are not
> limited to) lib.exe and make.exe.

Don't worry about this. No copy protection or anything dangerous is
going on. I'm not sure, but I don't believe the install program is
responsible for this. The hidden DELETED directories are backup
copies of something you're editing or deleting.

M.EXE (the Microsoft Editor) may create these, If so there should be
a TOOLS.INI switch to disable it. RM.EXE (a remove utility) is
probably the program creating these -- it's making a backup of a file
before deleting it. I don't use it, so am not sure if there is a way
to disable RM from creating these, maybe a TOOLS.INI switch, maybe
"set DELETED=NONE". A sure-fire way is not to use RM.EXE.

Anyway, they are hidden directories called DELETED created in your
current directory, which has an INDEX file and files DELETED.nnn, one
for each files that is placed there. The INDEX knows what the
DELETED.nnn files were originally called. EXP.EXE (an expunge
utility) will delete the files from these hidden directories.
UNDEL.EXE (an undelete utility) will takes the DELETED "backup" copy
and restore it to it's previous name/location. Information about
these tools are in the documentation, which I don't have nearby to
refer to...

I'm not sure what kind of problems your friend is running into, perhaps
he has installed some OS/2 protected mode programs and it trying to run
them under MS-DOS. I'd suggest you call our product support group at
(206) 882-8089 for more help on this.

-Lee
________
01001100  Lee Fisher, Microsoft Corp., Redmond, WA.
01000101  {uw-beaver,decvax,decwrl,trsvax,sun,attunix,uunet}!microsof!leefi
01000101  leefi@microsof.uucp
01000110  leefi@microsof.beaver.washington.edu
01001001  disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not those of my employer.

mpatnode@polyslo.UUCP (Mike Patnode) (04/18/88)

In article <25@necbsd.NEC.COM> gay@necbsd.NEC.COM (John Gay) writes:
=A friend that has also tried to install MASM 5.1 with the setup program
=has come across a similar experience, except that the program installed
=some of MASM's files in the wrong places and corrupted some of his
=executables.  Those corrupted include (but probably are not limited to)
=lib.exe and make.exe.

I had this exact same problem.  I found the installation program ran
much better after removing all my memory resident programs.
--
Mike "Dodger" Patnode          | (n)   ..csustan!polyslo!mpatnode
Yitbos Innovations Inc.        | (s)   ..sdsu!polyslo!mpatnode

efv@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Eugene F. Vogt) (04/18/88)

In article <1922@polyslo.UUCP> mpatnode@polyslo.UUCP (Mike Patnode) writes:
>In article <25@necbsd.NEC.COM> gay@necbsd.NEC.COM (John Gay) writes:
>=A friend that has also tried to install MASM 5.1 with the setup program
>=has come across a similar experience, except that the program installed
>=some of MASM's files in the wrong places and corrupted some of his
>=executables.  Those corrupted include (but probably are not limited to)
>=lib.exe and make.exe.
>
>I had this exact same problem.  I found the installation program ran
>much better after removing all my memory resident programs.

The Microsoft Editor uses a hidden directory called DELETED to archive
backup copies of edited files.  There are other programs included that
manipulate the deleted files archive.  This "feature" can be changed to
a more traditional .BAK single file backup, or no backup at all, by
placing the following line in the TOOLS.INI editor startup file:

	backup:bak		- for single .BAK backups

	backup:none		- for no backups

If you use the setup program supplied, I suspect that the hidden directory
is created for you in anticipation of your use of the editor (which is a
VERY powerful editor, by the way!).  You can use CD to drop into the
hidden directory, and then delete the files, and then go up one subdirectory
and delete the hidden directory.  All directory commands work, its just that
the subdirectory doesn't show up when you do a DIR.
Eugene F. Vogt
         arpa:  efv@mitre-bedford.arpa         US Mail:  MITRE Corp
     MCI Mail:  evogt (201-6274)                         Mail Stop K204
   Compuserve:  72570,11                                 Burlington Road
     EasyLink:  62930778                                 Bedford, MA 01730
      Ma Bell:  617-271-8206

jcmorris@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Joseph C. Morris) (04/19/88)

In article <25@necbsd.NEC.COM> gay@necbsd.NEC.COM (John Gay) writes:
>[report of a hidden directory named DELETED with some of his files in
>it, and corrupted LIB.EXE and MAKE.EXE]

For what it's worth, I didn't have any problems with errors of that type.
I've installed the 5.1 code on both a verrrry old PC-1 and an AT (both
true-blue).

>  What ever happened to the simple installation program copy a:*.* c: ???

Easy.  People wanted to make use of the directory structure to segregate
various files, and to permit complex customization of the code.  Look
at the distribution of Microsoft C as an example.   (And yes, I've got
problems with their installation programs...look at the kludge they put
on Fortran v4 as a bad example.  I squawked this to Microsoft and was told
that each product line writes its own installation program.  It shows.)
The MASM 5.1 package gives you a choice of DOS or OS/2 versions, as well
as the Microsoft Editor.  You can pick and choose what you want from the
files on the disk without knowing anything about COPYFILE syntax or how
to run the LIB program.

Also, for many products the intended audience is not as computer-savvy
as the USENET community.  The installation procedures (when they work)
allow a user to install them without requiring a Computer Science degree.

-----

I did have one problem, though, with the MASM 5.1 distribution.  My policy
is to ALWAYS start an install with a DISKCOPY duplication of all the
disks which come with the install, then doing the installation using the
dupes.  I couldn't read the OS/2 CODEVIEW disk, getting GENERAL FAILURE as
the symptom.  Turns out that the disk is a  1.2 mbyte floppy which my old
PC 360K drives can't handle.  There is no marking on the disk to indicate
that it isn't a 360k diskette.

Microsoft claims that there should have been a cover letter with the upgrade
shipment (5.0 to 5.1) but it wasn't in the package.  The letter is supposed
to tell you about the 1.2 meg disk.  The usoft tech support people seem
to blame me for not knowing that of course any OS/2 programs should be
on a 1.2 mbyte floppy, and didn't bother to try to answer my observation
that the IBM doesn't even market a 1.2 mbyte drive for the PS/2 boxes...

murphys@cod.NOSC.MIL (Steven P. Murphy) (04/19/88)

If you take the time to read the update manual you will find that
MS new editor creates these hidden deleted directories to store
information and old text of what you have edited. This is also
how their undel utility recovers things.

Take a look at section B.3 p114 of the MS Editor User's Guide

 _ _ _				Clarke's law, 2nd varation:
' ) ) )             /
 / / / . . __  _   /_		    "Any sufficiently advanced technology
/ ' (_(_/_/ (_/_)_/ /_		    is indistinguishable from a rigged demo"
             /
            '
------------------------

S. P. Murphy
Internet: murphys@cod.nosc.mil      UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!murphys

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (04/21/88)

	No.. what you did was run a product called rm and it's
	associated program call undel. rm creates these directorys
	and makes a file called INDEX, undel undeletes the files
	using the info in the index file and the DELETE.NNN files
	are the ones you deleted. Microsoft Editor also uses a
	directory called DELETED. I suspect you did one or the other.
						Jack.

	P.S. I install 5.1 several weeks ago and it did nothing like
	     you described.
--
See above 	 (214)661-8960

bradd@gssc.UUCP (Brad Davis) (04/23/88)

In article <25@necbsd.NEC.COM> gay@necbsd.NEC.COM (John Gay) writes:

>I ran this program to install MASM 5.1 and accessories
>on my hard disk drive D:.  Well today (1 day later)
>I discovered a new hidden directory on drive C: (yes C:)
>with the name DELETED.  This directory contained ...
[details of garbage and trashed hard disk deleted]

   I wonder if this SETUP could be related to the SETUP on MSC 5.1, which
is also capable of "innovative" behavior...

   When installing Microsoft C 5.1 recently, I was somewhat annoyed to have
SETUP hang right away.  It worked fine on several AT-klones (including a 386)
but on my true-blue IBM AT, SETUP.EXE was swift and certain death.

   It turned out that SETUP was "objecting" to the QuadEGA+ card I was
using.  The other EGA's that I tried (and other adapters) worked fine.

   Why do they need to play such sleazy tricks in a glorified batch file?

   Brad Davis

====== ====== ======     US MAIL: 9590 SW Gemini Dr.
==     ==     ==                  Beaverton, OR  97005
==  == ==  == ==  ==     PHONE:   (503) 641-2200
==  ==     ==     ==     UUCP:    uunet!tektronix!sequent!gssc!bradd
====== ====== ======     Disclaimer: I'm a mushroom.
The Graphics Experts                 "All paths lead to ground"

jpl@edison.GE.COM (Pim Little) (04/25/88)

In article <5673@gssc.UUCP>, bradd@gssc.UUCP (Brad Davis) writes:

>    When installing Microsoft C 5.1 recently, I was somewhat annoyed to have
> SETUP hang right away.  It worked fine on several AT-klones (including a 386)
> but on my true-blue IBM AT, SETUP.EXE was swift and certain death.
>
>    It turned out that SETUP was "objecting" to the QuadEGA+ card I was
> using.  The other EGA's that I tried (and other adapters) worked fine.

Apparently the Setup program also objects to older versions of the VEGA7
cards....  We called Microsoft and they will look into this problem.

>    Why do they need to play such sleazy tricks in a glorified batch file?

...... agreed!

			Pim Little
			jpl@edison.GE.COM