[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hebrew language support under DOS 3.3

agershon@sagpd1.UUCP (Arnie Gershon) (04/15/88)

I am using an AT clone running DOS 3.3 with a monographics card and monochrome
monitor.

I would like to know what I need to do to display Hebrew characters on the
display, type Hebrew characters at the keyboard, and if possible, print
Hebrew characters on an Epson-FX or IBM Graphics compatible printer.

sammy@psivax.UUCP (Samuel Katz) (04/18/88)

In article <254@sagpd1.UUCP> agershon@sagpd1.UUCP (Arnie Gershon) writes:
>I am using an AT clone running DOS 3.3 with a monographics card and monochrome
>monitor.
>
>I would like to know what I need to do to display Hebrew characters on the
>display, type Hebrew characters at the keyboard, and if possible, print
>Hebrew characters on an Epson-FX or IBM Graphics compatible printer.

I have used a hebrew language word processor that does everything you're
looking for. It is the hebrew language version of EinsteinWriter (I forget who
the publisher is). The best hebrew character set I have seen for the PC family
is accessed by changing the character set rom with one that includes hebrew as
an alternate character set. I haven't seen them for sale in the U.S. but they
are easily purchased in Israel (oh well |-).

rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty) (04/21/88)

In article <254@sagpd1.UUCP> agershon@sagpd1.UUCP (Arnie Gershon) writes:
>I would like to know what I need to do to display Hebrew characters on the

Along with everyone else, I will mention a different solution: MLS.
MLS stands for MultiLanguage System (or something like that).  They have
a demo package which is supposedly JUST LIKE their full package.  It is
freely distributable.  I've got a copy of it which I just managed to find
at home (AMAZING!).  Will do the usual munging of it and then post it over
in binary land.  (comp.binaries.ibm.pc I believe is the correct name)  I
hope to have done that by tomorrow at the latest.

BTW, it does greek and hebrew and english and something else (arabic, I think)

Disclaimer: I cannot even remember who wrote MLS, or if MLS is the company name
or the product name or the company's presidents' dogs name,
so I certainly have no connection with them (I have not even purchased the
distribution package, probably never will as I don't think I will ever need
it).... I just happen to have run across it somewhere.
--
    Rusty Carruth	N7IKQ	DOMAIN: rusty@cadnetix.com
    Cadnetix Corp.		UUCP:   cadnetix!rusty

mm@moss.ATT.COM (04/22/88)

In article <254@sagpd1.UUCP>, agershon@sagpd1.UUCP (Arnie Gershon) writes:
> I am using an AT clone running DOS 3.3 with a monographics card and monochrome
> monitor.
>
> I would like to know what I need to do to display Hebrew characters on the
> display, type Hebrew characters at the keyboard, and if possible, print
> Hebrew characters on an Epson-FX or IBM Graphics compatible printer.

Apollon Engineering, inc. in Columbia, MD (800) 822 3327 has a word
processor called GRAFEAS which handles Hebrew, Greek, Ukranian, Arabic and
a whole lot more.  It is pretty expensive at $400.

Michael Meola
ihnp4!moss!mm

dhelaan@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU (Abdullah Al-Dhelaan) (04/26/88)

A program called MLS was posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc a few days ago, and
I think it has what you need. We got it truncated here but if you are lucky
it may not be the case in your site.

-Abdullah