[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Questions about Zoo

ahk@i.cc.purdue.edu (Louis Lang) (04/26/88)

Being a new PC user (actually, a PS/2 Model 50), I've been following this
newsgroup for some interesting programs/utilities.  I came across ZOO and
ported it via Kermit to my PS/2.  (yeah, I uudecoded it, etc., and ended up
with the .EXE file)  I NEED SOME DOCUMENTATION ON HOW TO USE IT!
I've tried:
    zoo200 vi.arc > vi.exe    (creates vi.exe with 0 bytes)
    zoo200 vi.arc             (gives me lots of trash on screen)
    zoo200                    (hangs the system real well)

Please, any help would be most appreciated.  I'd really like to not use
EDLIN ever again, vi is better (KEDIT would be best :-)

Thanks for any help you can give.

--
Louis Lang   LANG@PURCCVM.BITNET or lang@vm.cc.purdue.edu
             also: ahk@{choose 1: h,i,j,k}.cc.purdue.edu

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (04/28/88)

There have been a number of questions about zoo recently, and hopefully
I can clarify part of the confusion.

ahk@i.cc.purdue.edu (Louis Lang) writes:

>Being a new PC user (actually, a PS/2 Model 50), I've been following this
>newsgroup for some interesting programs/utilities.  I came across ZOO and
>ported it via Kermit to my PS/2.  (yeah, I uudecoded it, etc., and ended up
>with the .EXE file)  I NEED SOME DOCUMENTATION ON HOW TO USE IT!
>I've tried:
>    zoo200 vi.arc > vi.exe    (creates vi.exe with 0 bytes)
>    zoo200 vi.arc             (gives me lots of trash on screen)
>    zoo200                    (hangs the system real well)

[ If just typing the zoo command doesn't give you help then you have a
  damaged copy of zoo. Also "zoo h" should give you a list of commands and
  options. ]

rustcat@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Vallury Prabhakar) writes:

>I grabbed `zoo' and other associated programs from the binaries newsgroup
>a little while ago.  However, I seem to be unable to extract stuff from
>any archives using it.  Obviously I'm doing something wrong.  When I
>try feeding an archive to zoo with the -extract option, it always comes
>up with:
>
>Zoo: WARNING: Archive header failed consistency check.
>Zoo: FATAL: Invalid or corrupted archive.

  Zoo does not work with .arc files in any way, shape, manner or form.
It creates its own (.zoo) archives, which are portable. It is not just
another arc program, and provides its additional features by using a
diferent archive file format.

  Lest people think that the benefits of converting are not worth the
effort, here is my "I.like.zoo" file.
-=-=-=-=-
Why I like zoo:
 a) it runs portably in most systems, Xenix, MPort, Ultrix, SunOS3,
    unix-pc, SysV, SysIII, V7, MS-DOS, and VMS.
 b) Compression is good. I ran some tests with PKARC, ZOO, and DWC,
    concluded that there was not more than 5% between them, and that
    the file content determined which way the 5% went.
 c) speed is *very* good. I tested against PKARC and DWC and concluded
    that they are (again) within 5%. On UNIX it takes about 40% more
    CPU than piping cpio into compress (non-portable for sure), and
    about 16-20% of the time taken by ARC.

[ I know that other have reported other figures, these are mine. ]

 d) ZOO handles pathnames. You can save an entire directory tree and
    restore it. Pathnames may optionally stripped either on storage
    on on extract.
 e) ZOO handles UNIX filenames, and does something reasonable when
    moved into DOS.
 f) ZOO preserves date and time modified.
 g) ZOO will accept a files list from stdin.
 h) ZOO will give me a short form columnar files listing that doesn't
    scroll off my screen.
 i) ZOO will delete files after I archive them, but not as they are
    are added. This means the originals are untouched until the archive
    file is closed.
 j) ZOO will optionally add only newer versions of files in the archive.
    I can update using *.* and avoid typing the names of all files to
    be updated.
 k) ZOO will optionally add only files which are not in the archive. This
    protects against overwriting existing files.
 l) ZOO saves older versions of files and deleted files until you choose
    to pack the archive. These older versions can be recovered.
 m) ZOO has both expert and novice modes. The novice mode is very like arc
    in structure, and reduces learning time for current arc users.
 n) ZOO allows me to put multiline comments on each file. This is often
    enough to eliminate the need for a readme file, and is useful when a
    program creates many data file with similar names.

[ zoo also has comments on the archive as a whole, and that comment may
  be displayed without see ing the file comments. ]

 o) ZOO has been "rock solid reliable" for me. I like using software
    that doesn't give me learning opportunities.
 p) ZOO has VMS-like versions, so I can keep a number of versions of the
    programs in a single archive.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (04/28/88)

In article <2751@i.cc.purdue.edu> ahk@i.cc.purdue.edu (Louis Lang) writes:
...Being a new PC user (actually, a PS/2 Model 50), I've been following this
...newsgroup for some interesting programs/utilities.  I came across ZOO and
...ported it via Kermit to my PS/2.  (yeah, I uudecoded it, etc., and ended up
...with the .EXE file)  I NEED SOME DOCUMENTATION ON HOW TO USE IT!
...I've tried:
...    zoo200 vi.arc > vi.exe    (creates vi.exe with 0 bytes)
...    zoo200 vi.arc             (gives me lots of trash on screen)
...    zoo200                    (hangs the system real well)

If you have a valid zoo200.exe, then typing zoo200 at the prompt should
cause zoo200 to decompose itself into severla files, one of which
documents the use of zoo.  In other words, zoo200.exe is a
self-extracting zoo archive.  Since doing what I suggested hangs your
system, it seems that your copy of zoo200.exe is not valid.