[comp.sys.ibm.pc] BS2 vs 386

bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) (04/21/88)

John P. Nelson of GenRad writes:

>I still don't see why IBM/Microsoft couldn't have based OS/2 on the
>80386 instead.  Intel announced their P9 (80386 in a 80286 compatible
>package) pretty early in the game:  IBM could have supported their
>AT base by insisting that customers upgrade their processor before
>upgrading their operating system.

IBM fears the 386 chip, knowing that it could kill their 36's, 38's
etc. and possibly even their small mainframes ( e.g. one of the new
Mylex 386s with one of the new multi gigabyte optical disks; don't laugh
too hard).  They have therefore tried to discourage it's use by charging
$10000 for their own 386 machine, as usual hoping nobody will notice all
the people out there selling 386 machines for $2000.

Ted Holden
HTE

hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) (04/28/88)

In article <101@imspw6.UUCP> bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) writes:

>IBM fears the 386 chip, knowing that it could kill their 36's, 38's
>etc. and possibly even their small mainframes ( e.g. one of the new
>Mylex 386s with one of the new multi gigabyte optical disks; don't laugh
>too hard).  They have therefore tried to discourage it's use by charging
>$10000 for their own 386 machine, as usual hoping nobody will notice all
>the people out there selling 386 machines for $2000.

There is a lot of truth to this.  At my last job we developed a version
of ANS MUMPS for the PC that supported 24 concurrent users on a Compaq386
(using the Arnet Smartport boards for terminal support).  Normally to get
that level of performance customers had to purchase a PDP-11/44 or a
VAX 11/750 at substantially greater cost.  For example, a large
configuration on the Compaq, including 300 Mb SCSI disk, tape backup and
3 Arnet Smarport boards was under 15,000.  Compared with a VAX or PDP-11/44
at more than 50,000 the 386 system is a tremendous bargain.  Multi-user
systems based on 386 technology are going to make a big dent in the mini-
computer marketplace.  Watch out DEC! Watch out Big Blue!

Herb Lison