[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Zmodem for Unix and VAX/VMS, part 1of4

ritzenth@bgsuvax.UUCP (Phil Ritzenthaler) (04/28/88)

In article <7778@brl-smoke.ARPA>, w8sdz@brl-smoke.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen ) writes:
> Chuck Forsberg has just released Zmodem for Unix and VAX/VMS, dated
> 23-Apr-88.  Since this program is used by many MSDOS users for
> downloading and uploading from/to mainframes, it is being posted to this
> newsgroup.

I would like to thank Keith for continuing to post updates to Zmodem!  Even
through all the unnecessary flames that he had to endure, he still continues
to provide a service to those of us who like and use Zmodem.

Thanks again, Keith!  And keep it up!

--
Phil Ritzenthaler    UUCP :.!cbosgd!osu-cis!bgsuvax!ritzenth
                     ARPA : ritzenth@andy.bgsu.edu

"Remember, OPRAH spelled backwards is HARPO (toot-toot)!" -- Anonymous

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (04/29/88)

In article <7778@brl-smoke.ARPA> w8sdz@brl-smoke.UUCP (Keith B. Petersen (WSMR|towson) <w8sdz>) writes:
>Chuck Forsberg has just released Zmodem for Unix and VAX/VMS, dated
>23-Apr-88.  Since this program is used by many MSDOS users for
>downloading and uploading from/to mainframes, it is being posted to this
>newsgroup.

I don't know where Keith got his "shar" program, but it really bytes
the big one.  It doesn't work right on UNIX systems at all:  is there a
version of "unshar" for the PC that can handle this garbage?

the code that splits files across shar archives is broken.  It happily
splits if/else/fi constructs across shar files, meaning that you get
"sh" syntax errors at the start and end of every archive file that has
a split file!

To get these files to unarchive, add the lines "echo xxx", and "fi"
just after the last SHAR_EOF of Parts 1, 2, and 3; then delete the
line "fi" after the first SHAR_EOF in parts 2, 3, and 4.  Then
extract as usual.

Is it really necessary to split small files like this?  This is
obviously the same "shar" program that splits up large uuencodes
(I LIKE that feature), but for small files, this is a botch.

Also, would it be possible to add an "exit 0" at the end of each
shell archive file?  Otherwise, sh tries to interpret someone's
.signature file.  (I use the UNIX program "unshar" which strips
off the news headers, but does not strip trailing .signatures!)
--
     john nelson

UUCP:            {decvax,mit-eddie}!genrad!teddy!jpn
ARPA (sort of):  talcott.harvard.edu!panda!teddy!jpn

bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) (04/29/88)

In article <4737@teddy.UUCP>, jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
> the code that splits files across shar archives is broken.  It happily
> splits if/else/fi constructs across shar files, meaning that you get
> "sh" syntax errors at the start and end of every archive file that has
> a split file!
>
> To get these files to unarchive, add the lines "echo xxx", and "fi"
> just after the last SHAR_EOF of Parts 1, 2, and 3; then delete the
> line "fi" after the first SHAR_EOF in parts 2, 3, and 4.  Then
> extract as usual.

OK, the guy made a mistake.  But you didn't really need to edit anything;
just concatenating the 4 parts together makes everything work fine.

I.e.,

% cat shar.1 shar.2 shar.3 shar.4 > shar.good
% sh shar.good

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@acornrc.uucp

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (04/30/88)

  I *think* keith edited the files after they were broken into parts.
The original code doesn't know how many parts there will be (for speed)
and I notice that his postings say "part 2 of 4" etc. Either that or
he's enhanced the program. The current version does put exit 0 on the
end of parts.

  This was mailed to misc.src at the beginning of the week, I would
expect to see it soon.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)