[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Buying a 386 machine?

mds@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Michael Siegel) (04/18/88)

Well the time has come...I think I will buy myself a machine.
I've talked to a dealer/friend that constructs his own machines.
I believe I will go for a 386. Unfortunately, I am very ignorant about
what particulars I should look for when considering this machine.
I know he uses a Micronics motherboard. Unfortunately, this board
has a big ``footprint'' and therefore a big box. But what else should
I look for in the construction. Is there a better clone for the price?

386 with
	1 floppy (size yet to be determined)
	1 Meg memory

comes to $2300.

Then a seagate 20Mb 65ms hard drive would add 300 though I may
want something faster...

Well in general is this a goot time to buy this type
of machine? I appreciate any help on this one..

---Michael

p.s. last of 4 messages on this topic.

romkey@kaos.UUCP (John Romkey) (04/19/88)

In article <21771@bu-cs.BU.EDU> mds@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Michael Siegel) writes:
>386 with
>	1 floppy (size yet to be determined)
>	1 Meg memory
>comes to $2300.

You can get an Everex 16MHz 386 with 1MB of RAM, a high density
floppy, a power supply, case and 101 key keyboard for around $1800
from most Everex distributors (like SF Micro or Club AT). I'm typing
this in on one and it works pretty well.

This system has a 64KB 0 wait-state cache and no 32 bit slots. It also
only has a socket for a 287, not a 387. It's pretty decently fast,
though. It's not the recently announced system; it's basically the
same design as the Mylex motherboard.
--
			- john romkey
UUCP: romkey@kaos.uucp			ARPA: romkey@xx.lcs.mit.edu

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (04/25/88)

In article <21771@bu-cs.BU.EDU> mds@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Michael Siegel) writes:
|Well the time has come...I think I will buy myself a machine.
|[...]
|I believe I will go for a 386. [...]
|I know [the machine ] uses a Micronics motherboard. Unfortunately, this board
|has a big ``footprint'' and therefore a big box. But what else should
|I look for in the construction. [...]

Personally I'd take a bigger box over a little -- usually there's more
space between the boards, which helps with cooling.  This doesn't
matter when you only have 2 or 3 boards, but I've dealt with machines
where all the slots are filled with large boards, and it makes a
difference there.

|[...] a seagate 20Mb 65ms hard drive would add 300 though I may
|want something faster...

If you buy a 386 machine and get a 65ms hard drive, you're crazy.  In
my experience, the hard drive is often the bottleneck to a PC's
user-apparent speed -- with a 386 machine, this would be painfully
obvious.  Look around more -- you should be able to find larger faster
disks for very little more money.  My favorite is the Micropolis 72Mb
(formatted), which is 27ms and at last check cost about $700.  There
may be even better deals, though, so keep your eyes open.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) (04/25/88)

In article <21986@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>Personally I'd take a bigger box over a little -- usually there's more
>space between the boards, which helps with cooling.  This doesn't
>matter when you only have 2 or 3 boards, but I've dealt with machines
>where all the slots are filled with large boards, and it makes a
>difference there.

You may also want the extra space for another drive (assuming the larger
box has space for a second full height drive).  I have an AT, and will be
adding a second hard disk within the next month -- since there is room for
two, I will be adding capacity rather than simply upgrading (I also expect
some programs to run faster (especially databases) since the heads won't
skip around between overlays and data files).  I'm looking at filling the
spaces with 1/2 height 1.2M, 1.44M 3.5", 40 Meg and a full height 80M (I
already have both floppies and one hard drive).  This wouldn't be possible
in a smaller chasis without going external.

Bradley Dyck Kliewer                Hacking...
bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu       It's not just an adventure
                                    It's my job!

PJH@mccc.UUCP (P. J. Holsberg) (04/26/88)

In article <21986@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
....  My favorite is the Micropolis 72Mb
...(formatted), which is 27ms and at last check cost about $700.  There

What HD controllers do you like with the Micropolis drive?

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (05/01/88)

In article <21986@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>In article <21771@bu-cs.BU.EDU> mds@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Michael Siegel) writes:
>
>If you buy a 386 machine and get a 65ms hard drive, you're crazy.  In
>my experience, the hard drive is often the bottleneck to a PC's
>user-apparent speed -- with a 386 machine, this would be painfully
>obvious.

For a screaming combination get a CDC Wren III (~150 Mbytes) or a
Wren IV (~285 Mbytes) and a Western Digital WD 7000 ASC controller.

Core27 reports a transfer rate of 1.049 Mbytes per sec, average seek
time less than 24 msec, Track to Track of less than 10 mSec.

Who needs a RAM-disk with that kind of speed :-)

Now if I could just get a SCSI driver for [Interactive|Microport]
UNIX I'd be set...

keith

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (05/02/88)

.
.Core27 reports a transfer rate of 1.049 Mbytes per sec, average seek
.time less than 24 msec, Track to Track of less than 10 mSec.

I have a Wren IV hooked up to my EasyData AT clone via an NCR SCSI
adaptor and Core reported an average seek time of 13 msec! Obviously
an artifact of having 32 kbytes of buffer in the disk.

I don't get nearly the transfer rate you do. Down around 200 Kbytes/sec.

Are you sure you can connect a Wren IV to the WD 7000? I thought all
Wren IVs were SCSI. Is the WD 7000 SCSI?

--
Make Japan the 51st state!

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com