[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS 3.3 feature vaporware?

dpz@athos.rutgers.edu (David P. Zimmerman) (04/12/88)

I was looking through my MS-DOS 3.30 manual and found a nifty feature
called "drivparm" that you can stick in your CONFIG.SYS file.
Basically it is supposed to let you change the characteristics of a
block device to another specification (e.g., make an 80 track drive
act like a 40 track).

However, try as I might (and try as another DOS wizard here might),
all that I can get spit out at boot time is a complaint about
"drivparm" being an unrecognized command.

Anybody get this to work, or is this truly nifty feature a truly nifty
vapor?

						dpz
--
David P. Zimmerman, Rutgers University Center for Computer and Info Services
Internet: dpz@rutgers.edu     UUCP: rutgers!dpz     Bitnet: zimmerman@zodiac

bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) (04/13/88)

In article <Apr.12.12.26.22.1988.14955@athos.rutgers.edu>, dpz@athos.rutgers.edu (David P. Zimmerman) writes:

> I was looking through my MS-DOS 3.30 manual and found a nifty feature
> called "drivparm" that you can stick in your CONFIG.SYS file.
>
> However, try as I might (and try as another DOS wizard here might),
> all that I can get spit out at boot time is a complaint about
> "drivparm" being an unrecognized command.

Yes, "drivparm" does not work in DOS 3.3.

I corresponded with a MicroSoft rep on CompuServe about this and he
said it will probably become available as a free upgrade some time
in the future.  (In the mean time, they're getting dozens of calls
about it!)

So you still have to use device=driver.sys ... instead.

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@acornrc.uucp

esd@cbterra.ATT.COM (Eric S. Deese) (04/13/88)

In article <Apr.12.12.26.22.1988.14955@athos.rutgers.edu> dpz@athos.rutgers.edu (David P. Zimmerman) writes:
>I was looking through my MS-DOS 3.30 manual and found a nifty feature
>called "drivparm" that you can stick in your CONFIG.SYS file.
>However, try as I might (and try as another DOS wizard here might),
>all that I can get spit out at boot time is a complaint about
>"drivparm" being an unrecognized command.
>Anybody get this to work, or is this truly nifty feature a truly nifty
>vapor?
>
>David P. Zimmerman

I have spent several hours with it also, as I thought I might have a use
for it.  Like yourself, DOS kept telling me that it didn't like the
drivparm command.  I tend to believe that it is "truly nifty vapor.

Eric Deese (cbosgd!esd)

--
Eric Deese	(cbosgd!esd)		AT&T Bell Labs

leefi@microsoft.UUCP (Lee Fisher) (04/14/88)

> esd@cbterra.att.com (Eric S. Deese) writes:
>
> dpz@athos.rutgers.edu (David P. Zimmerman) writes:
> >
> > I was looking through my MS-DOS 3.30 manual and found a nifty feature
> > called "drivparm" that you can stick in your CONFIG.SYS file.
> > However, try as I might (and try as another DOS wizard here might),
> > all that I can get spit out at boot time is a complaint about
> > "drivparm" being an unrecognized command. Anybody get this to work,
> > or is this truly nifty feature a truly nifty vapor?
>
> I have spent several hours with it also, as I thought I might have a
> use for it. Like yourself, DOS kept telling me that it didn't like
> the drivparm command. I tend to believe that it is "truly nifty vapor.

DRIVPARM does not work in MS-DOS v3.30.

There is a new release of the MS-DOS v3.30 "packaged product" called
v3.30A which has fixed this. It has been sent to manufacturing and
will be available soon. OEMs already have this update. If you have an
OEM version of DOS, contact them for availability of a fix. If you
have the "packaged product" version, call Microsoft at 206-882-8089
and tell them that you have this problem; they'll take your
name/address, and send you this update when it becomes available.

-Lee
________
01001100  Lee Fisher, Microsoft Corp., Redmond, WA.
01000101  {uw-beaver,decvax,decwrl,trsvax,sun,attunix,uunet}!microsof!leefi
01000101  leefi@microsof.uucp
01000110  leefi@microsof.beaver.washington.edu
01001001  disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not those of my employer.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (04/14/88)

The DRIVPARM= parameter for CONFIG.SYS is one of the things that
has been [quasi?] officially acknowledged as not always working
correctly.

I have had varying degrees of luck with it on the machines here.
It seems to matter what BIOS is in the machines.  Machines with
dumb BIOS seem to get along better with DRIVPARM= than newer
machines.

You may want to use the DRIVER.SYS installable device driver
instead of DRIVPARM=.  DRIVER.SYS takes the same option switches as
specifying DRIVPARM=.  The advantage is that DRIVER.SYS is
self-contained, and would appear from personal experience to have
fewer problems with BIOS conflict.  The disadvantage with using
DRIVER.SYS is that it has to assign a logical drive letter one
letter greater than your last physical drive.  Thus, on a hard disk
system a 1.44 meg 3.5 inch drive is stuck being accessed as drive D
when you use the 1.44 meg mode, while it is B: in 720K mode.  (The
only way I've been able to get 1.44 meg drives work is by using
DRIVER.SYS.)  One might try supplying the appropriate leading
zeros, etc.  For instance, you might want to enter the heads switch
as /H02.

Note that IBM PS/2s have integral support for 1.44 meg, and don't
require DRIVER.SYS.  I have a PS/2 model 80, and it insists on
formatting even 720K disks as 1.44 meg.  Maybe it needs a DRIVER.SYS
running to go to the low density mode for formatting.  The PS/2
seems to correctly sense the density of disks that have already
been formatted some place else.  By the way, for the record, I
don't recommend formatting 720K disks for 1.44 meg.

Grrrrr.

--Bill

bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) (04/16/88)

In article <1104@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>Note that IBM PS/2s have integral support for 1.44 meg, and don't
>require DRIVER.SYS.  I have a PS/2 model 80, and it insists on
>formatting even 720K disks as 1.44 meg.  Maybe it needs a DRIVER.SYS
>running to go to the low density mode for formatting.  The PS/2
>seems to correctly sense the density of disks that have already
>been formatted some place else.  By the way, for the record, I
>don't recommend formatting 720K disks for 1.44 meg.
>
>Grrrrr.
>
>--Bill

You can use options on with FORMAT for 720K diskettes.  I don't have a DOS
manual right here, but it's something like FORMAT /T:80 /N:9.  I have a
1.44 Meg (using a driver from BASTECH since my BIOS is too old for even
DRIVER.SYS), which is also set to D:.  I use ASSIGN to set it to B which
works for everything except FORMAT and CHKDSK (both 1.44 and 720 are
addressable by either B: or D:.  The only thing I really hate about this
setup is that the Bastech driver is copy protected.  If anybody out there
has seen any non copy protected 3.5" drivers, please tell me by e-mail.
It's the only copy protected software on my system and I want it off.

Bradley Dyck Kliewer                Hacking...
bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu       It's not just an adventure
                                    It's my job!

dpz@athos.rutgers.edu (David P. Zimmerman) (04/20/88)

Thanks for all the replies.  Looks like I'll be using DRIVER.SYS
(barf, gag) until the 3.30a update comes through....

						dpz
--

frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) (04/27/88)

In article <1104@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

> Note that IBM PS/2s have integral support for 1.44 meg, and don't
> require DRIVER.SYS.  I have a PS/2 model 80, and it insists on
> formatting even 720K disks as 1.44 meg.  Maybe it needs a DRIVER.SYS
> running to go to the low density mode for formatting.  The PS/2
> seems to correctly sense the density of disks that have already
> been formatted some place else.  By the way, for the record, I
> don't recommend formatting 720K disks for 1.44 meg.

	The FORMAT command under DOS 3.3 takes a couple useful options:

	/T:<# of tracks>
	/N:<# of sectors>

For example, on a PS/2 model 50,60,or 80, to format a 720K disk, you do
a "FORMAT A:/T:80/N:9".

In the "old days" of the AT, you could FORMAT a 360K disk in a 1.2 MB
drive with a "FORMAT A: /4"...guess there got to be too many different
types of disks for IBM to assign a number to each...

tneff@atpal.UUCP (Tom Neff) (04/29/88)

In article <243@wcom.UUCP> frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) writes:
> ... In the "old days" of the AT, you could FORMAT a 360K disk in a 1.2 MB
>drive with a "FORMAT A: /4"...guess there got to be too many different
>types of disks for IBM to assign a number to each...

I don't have a copy of PC-DOS 3.3 handy, but I can tell you that Compaq DOS
3.31B not only supports the new /T: and /N: switches in FORMAT, but also the
original /4 switch.  I just formatted a bunch that way today.

--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...uunet!pwcmrd!skipnyc!atpal!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536		MCI: TNEFF

mintz@hpindda.HP.COM (Ken Mintz) (04/30/88)

> In the "old days" of the AT, you could FORMAT a 360K disk in a 1.2 MB
> drive with a "FORMAT A: /4"....

  But is that reliable?  I've been told that writing to a 360K disk on a
  1.2M drive is not supported.  The explanation was as follows:  the HD disk
  has thinner metallic surfaces, so the 1.2M write heads don't put out as
  strong a signal as do the 360K heads.  Of course, because the 360K heads
  are N times stronger than needed, the 1.2M heads will work X% of the time.
  (Anyone have some idea what "X" is?)

Ken Mintz

stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) (05/02/88)

In article <4330071@hpindda.HP.COM> mintz@hpindda.HP.COM (Ken Mintz) writes:
>> In the "old days" of the AT, you could FORMAT a 360K disk in a 1.2 MB
>> drive with a "FORMAT A: /4"....
>
>  But is that reliable?  I've been told that writing to a 360K disk on a
>  1.2M drive is not supported.  The explanation was as follows:  the HD disk
>  has thinner metallic surfaces, so the 1.2M write heads don't put out as
>  strong a signal as do the 360K heads.  Of course, because the 360K heads
>  are N times stronger than needed, the 1.2M heads will work X% of the time.
>  (Anyone have some idea what "X" is?)
>
>Ken Mintz

I've been using 360K disks in my 1.2M drive for some time now.  As long as
you're only going to be using them in 1.2M drives, they should work OK.
Using these disks in a regular 360K drive can be a problem, though.  I've
found that the best results are obtained if the disk if formatted in a
360K drive.  If that's not possible, you can get almost as good reliability
by using only blank disks (either new or erased with an electromagnet).
You can then format them in the 1.2M drive with the "/4" option (which IS
still supported in MS-DOS 3.3) and use them.  The problems seem to occur
with disks that have been used previously in 360K drives (ie. had data on
them), then are re-formatted or DEL *.*'d and use on the 1.2M drive.

The reason for this can be traced to the difference in drive head width.
The high density drive has a much thinner head than the 360K, so it writes
a 360K disk by laying down one thin track in the middle of the wider 360K
track.  If the disk is then read by a 360K drive, it will "see" both the
new track and the outside "strips" of the original wider track.  This of
course is interpreted as garbage.

This indicates to me that there would be no exact "percentage failure" for
360K disks in 1.2M drives.

Steve

len@elxsi.UUCP (Len Mills) (05/03/88)

In article <4330071@hpindda.HP.COM> mintz@hpindda.HP.COM (Ken Mintz) writes:
>> In the "old days" of the AT, you could FORMAT a 360K disk in a 1.2 MB
>> drive with a "FORMAT A: /4"....
>
>  But is that reliable?  I've been told that writing to a 360K disk on a
>  1.2M drive is not supported.  The explanation was as follows:  the HD disk
>  ...                               the 1.2M heads will work X% of the time.
>  (Anyone have some idea what "X" is?)

    When the proper procedure is followed "X" is 100.

    What is this proper procedure, and why does it work?  Glad you asked.

    The data written by a 360k drive is WIDER than than that written by
    a 1.2m drive.  If a disk which was previously written by a 360 is
    formatted and written by a 1.2, the previous magnetization is not
    guaranteed to be erased.  This remaiming magnetization can cause
    read errors on either 360s OR 1.2s with slightly different alignment
    charateristics.

    The highly reliable procedure is to degauss the 360s before doing
    the FORMAT A: /4.  This can be done in a number of ways, using
    various equipment.  My favorite method is to use a bulk tape
    eraser built for reel-to-reel tape.  Home units can do 10 at a
    time; computer-room units can do 40 in four stacks of 10 at
    a time.  I position the disks so that the center of rotation is
    at the center of rotation of the tape reel.

    This process is reliable and repeatable.

--

Len Mills ...
{uunet,ucbvax!sun,lll-lcc!lll-tis,altos86,bridge2}!elxsi!len