[comp.sys.ibm.pc] An Annoying Quirk of Microsoft Word 4.0

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (04/28/88)

When you use the LIBRARY TABLE command in Word 4.0 to produce a table of
contents, the table of contents so produced contains hard page breaks that
were contained within the body of the document.  Anyone know of a trick
to make Word not do so?  It's a nuisance removing the extra page breaks
from the Table of Contents.

Clayton E. Cramer

rms@gubba.SPDCC.COM (Rich Sands) (04/29/88)

In article <2033@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>When you use the LIBRARY TABLE command in Word 4.0 to produce a table of
>contents, the table of contents so produced contains hard page breaks that
>were contained within the body of the document.  Anyone know of a trick
>to make Word not do so?  It's a nuisance removing the extra page breaks
>from the Table of Contents.
>
>Clayton E. Cramer

I just ran into this problem myself.  I assume you're using outline mode
to make the headings to be included in the TOC.  If the hard page breaks
are part of the same paragraphs as the outline headings, they get
included.  Put the page breaks in their own paragraph, or attach them to
the last paragraph before the new heading, and they won't be included.

--
        --  rms

UUCP: {ihnp4,harvard,husc6,linus,ima,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gubba!rms
Internet: rms@gubba.spdcc.com	Compuserve: 71360,1067	BIX: richsands

m2@insyte.uucp (Mike Arena) (05/01/88)

In addition to the Library Table bug, I have also found an annoying bug
with the Library Index command.  In my document I have several divisions.
The first division is the introduction which uses small Roman numeral page
numbering (i, ii, iii, ...).
The next division uses Arabic numbering (1, 2, 3, 4, ...)
The last division is the appendices and uses Alphabetic numbering (a, b, c,..)

If I have an index entry on page ii of the first division, and an index entry
for the same item on page 2 of the second division, only the ii page number
appears in the generated index.  It seems that Word stores page numbers as
integers for each division but simply formats them differently.  Then when
it is compiling the index it finds that there are two entries on page "2"
so it removes the duplicate entry.

Is there any way to get around this?
Or do I have to make an index for each division and then merge them by
hand (shudder)?

					Michael J. Arena
					Innovative Systems Techniques
					UUCP: ...harvad!axiom!insyte!m2

figlik@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Jim Figlik) (05/03/88)

In article <478@gubba.SPDCC.COM> rms@gubba.UUCP (Rich Sands) writes:
>In article <2033@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>>When you use the LIBRARY TABLE command in Word 4.0 to produce a table of
>>contents, the table of contents so produced contains hard page breaks that
>>were contained within the body of the document.  Anyone know of a trick
>>to make Word not do so?  It's a nuisance removing the extra page breaks
>>from the Table of Contents.
>>
>>Clayton E. Cramer
>
>I just ran into this problem myself.  I assume you're using outline mode
>to make the headings to be included in the TOC.  If the hard page breaks
>are part of the same paragraphs as the outline headings, they get
>included.  Put the page breaks in their own paragraph, or attach them to
>the last paragraph before the new heading, and they won't be included.

I suggest creating a gallery entry (e.g. P0) for a paragraph with
the characteristic of

			"Line Spacing 0"

This lets you put the page break into its own paragraph without eating up
additional lines on the page.

Just a thought...

Jim

Name:  Jim Figlik
 Org:  CAP Gemini America @AT&T Bell Labs, Indian Hill
Addr:  {world}!ihnp4!ihlpl!figlik
Disc:  These preceeding opinions not necessarily shared by anyone else