[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Removing non-DOS partition

vanpelt@unisv.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (04/07/88)

Someone managed to create a partition of unknown type on our PC/AT
clone here at work, and the DOS FDISK program won't touch it.  I
would like to delete the thing (It's 16 Meg!) but am kind of at a
loss at the moment -- sure, I could low-level format the hard disk,
but that seems excessive (not to mention being more work than I care
to go to at the moment.)  Does anyone know how to delete a partition
that FDISK declares untouchable because it is type "UNKNOWN"?
--
Mike Van Pelt        Unisys, Silicon Valley       vanpelt%unisv@ubvax.ub.com
Bring back UNIVAC!                              ...uunet!ubvax!unisv!vanpelt

rgc@edison.GE.COM (GENIUS Open Architecture) (04/18/88)

In article <290@unisv.UUCP>, vanpelt@unisv.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
> Someone managed to create a partition of unknown type on our PC/AT
> clone here at work, and the DOS FDISK program won't touch it.  I
> would like to delete the thing (It's 16 Meg!) but am kind of at a
> loss at the moment -- sure, I could low-level format the hard disk,
> but that seems excessive (not to mention being more work than I care
> to go to at the moment.)  Does anyone know how to delete a partition
> that FDISK declares untouchable because it is type "UNKNOWN"?

I had a similar experience with a split 20 Meg drive...
after using Norton and a variety of other tools, I reorted to
the low level format, FDISK then format...

If there is an easier way, I would like to know, too.

Thanks

--
Rick Carl               GE Fanuc  -  Charlottesville, VA  22901
rgc@edison.GE.COM

jrv@siemens.UUCP (James R Vallino) (04/25/88)

The structure of the partition table is shown in the IBM Technical Reference.
The table is stored in the first sector of the hard disk.
Removing an unwanted partition is a fairly simple process using DEBUG.
Here is the procedure which I used when I had the same type of problem:

1. Read the boot record/partition table into memory. Assemble the following
    program in memory using DEBUG and run it to the nop:

	mov ah,2	    ;ah = 2 read disk, 3 write disk
	mov dl,80	    ;dl = 80 - 81 for first or second hard disk
	mov dh,0	    ;head 0
	mov cx,1	    ;cylinder 0  sector 1
	mov al,1	    ;read/write 1 sector
	mov bx,200	    ;es:bx => data buffer for read/write operations
	int 13		    ;do the disk operation
	nop		    ;run program to this point

2. The partition table will start at offset 3be if the data buffer is 200 as
    above. Data for the four partitions start at:

	3be	partition 1 (offset 1be in sector)
	3ce	partition 2 (       1ce          )
	3de	partition 3 (       1de          )
	3ee	partition 4 (       1ee          )
	3fe     55 AA  (these two bytes must end the boot record)

   To wipe a partition off the face of the disk zero all the bytes in its
   area of the partition table.

3. After modifying the partition table change the program above so that AH is
    set to 3 (write disk), hold your breath, and run it again to write the
    modified partition table to disk.

--
Jim Vallino	Siemens Research and Technology Lab.,Princeton, NJ
CSNET: jrv@siemens.siemens.com

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (04/30/88)

In article <1479@edison.GE.COM> rgc@edison.GE.COM (GENIUS Open Architecture) writes:
>In article <290@unisv.UUCP>, vanpelt@unisv.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
>> Someone managed to create a partition of unknown type on our PC/AT
>> clone here at work, and the DOS FDISK program won't touch it.  I
[..]
>                      Does anyone know how to delete a partition
>> that FDISK declares untouchable because it is type "UNKNOWN"?
>
>I had a similar experience with a split 20 Meg drive...
>after using Norton and a variety of other tools, I reorted to
>the low level format, FDISK then format...
>If there is an easier way, I would like to know, too.

We ran into this problem when trying to remove Xenix from a hard disk.
It turns out the way to remove a Xenix partition is to boot Xenix from
floppy and use the Xenix fdisk program.  If you boot from the hard disk,
fdisk fails because you're trying to remove a partition that has a
mounted file system on it!

It's been a year or so since I had anything to do with Xenix, but this
information is probably still valid.  At least, it's another avenue to
explore.

Paul Allen

Paul L. Allen                       | paula@boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!paula

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (05/01/88)

In article <3398@tekgvs.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) writes:
>A program called edpart was posted to the net about a year ago.

Uh - never mind....

I just realized that I'm 'sposed to post these to the binaries
group. I'll cancel the original and re-post there...

keith

backstro@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (John Q. Public) (05/03/88)

In article <5134@bcsaic.UUCP> paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) writes:
>In article <1479@edison.GE.COM> rgc@edison.GE.COM (GENIUS Open Architecture) writes:
>>                      Does anyone know how to delete a partition
>>> that FDISK declares untouchable because it is type "UNKNOWN"?
>>

>It turns out the way to remove a Xenix partition is to boot Xenix from
>floppy and use the Xenix fdisk program.

If you're using DOS, and want to play it safe, look into a copy of Disk
Manager by OnTrack.  It allows use of large hard drives much as DOS 3.3
does, supports low-level formatting, and manipulation of the partition
table -- addition and deletion of partitions.  It has caused me no
problems. (I have no connection with OnTrack).

If you're adventurouse, several fdisk-type programs were posted in
comp.os.minix for people who needed to add non-DOS partitions.
--
backstro@silver.bacs.indiana.edu