[comp.sys.ibm.pc] comp.binaries.ibm.pc moderation

mdella@polyslo.UUCP (Marcos R. Della) (03/15/88)

People have been fighting not to moderate the binaries newsgroup.
After some discussions with other system administrators and people
who get involved with cost issues, I personally think that this
group needs to be moderated.  There are several reasons...

1)  This would limit the number of re-posts of the same software and
would also insure that what was posted was first checked for dearcing
accuracy before going out to the world.

2)  copyright things could at least be tenatively checked.  I'll admit that
there are hundreds of programs out there that people have posted that have
copyright notices on them that are shareware or public domain (The author
thought it was a nice touch to put the copyright notice in. Makes it sound
more official) whereas there are hundreds of programs that are DEFINATLY
copyrighted and sold. The problem is that there are so many programs out
there, how do you know if some obscure person somewhere is selling the
product that others thing is public domain?  At least you get a scanning.
I'll admit that I didn't know about MEAN18 until someone posted it a few
days latter...

3)  There would be a standard header put on files for archive sites that
no longer archive this newsgroup because of the static that floats through
a newsgroup that is for BINARIES ONLY.

4) if the moderator had time, he could take comments and critisims and all
that other neat stuff that comes into the mailer and combine them into a
digest of some type and post it to the comp.sys.ibm.pc group for people
to read. Keeps it out of the binaries section...

All you really need to do is to find a moderator who is willing to put in
the time and effort into this event. Keep on looking. I liked the idea
someone earlier had (I forget his name) that said to send all requests to
him and he'd post for a vote. At least this gets this out of the years
of discussion mode and gets something done.

I volunteered once, and I'll do it again, but after my last experiance
with postings, I know alot more about posting large files to the net. But
I'm still gonna need some help if I do land the job.

--
..!csustan ->!polyslo!mdella    | mdella@polyslo | Whatever I said doesn't
..!sdsu ---/   Marcos R. Della  | (805) 543-0135 | mean diddly as I forgot

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/16/88)

  Several days ago I offered to accept resumes of people wanting to
moderate comp.binaries.ibm.pc. This responds to several suggestions:

  1) I am reposting this for the last time, to both groups. Some people
said there was a proplem at some sites.

  2) Yes, the ballot will include "no moderator."

  I will accept resumes until Mar 25, and post a message with all of
them on that evening. I will accept votes on the moderator until Apr 8,
and post the results that evening. I will also mail the results to the
net-gods for perusal.

  Don't mail me votes yet (I got about 15) because you haven't seen all
the resumes. Don't bother to flame me, I don't care what you think about
this, nor do I care if the net-gods accept, reject, or ignore (likely)
the vote. I will post what I get and if people don't want to act on it,
that's fine.

Send resumes (one screen or so) to my signature address.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) (05/04/88)

In article <2749@bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> I have received a couple of messages asking about moderation of
> comp.binaries.ibm.pc, and I also noticed a control message (but
> not from a backbone site) changing comp.binaries.ibm.pc to moderated.

Yes, and this moderation message caused me a lot of grief, because the news
software actually *believed* that it should mark that newsgroup as
moderated.  Since doing that, it noticed that every article that came here
did not have an "Approved" stamp on it, so it kindly mailed it off to the
moderator -- rather, the special moderator address at the designated
backbone site (rutgers).  Rutgers, of course, returned every piece of mail
to zinn, saying that there was no such address there.  Consider the amount
of traffic in this newsgroup.  The modem lines and the disk were tied up
for a *long* time.  By the time I noticed it, the flood of rejected mail
from rutgers had already started, and I just had to wait it out.

-mm-
--
Mark E. Mallett  PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129